Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Customers Show Off

Neverwet for Cast Aluminum Engine Parts - the PERFECT application!

The single best use I have found for Neverwet is on cast aluminum engine parts.  These are a real pain to clean due to their complex shape and rough cast surface, they are critical to the appearance of a vehicle, and they get HOT! 

Any cast aluminum parts can benefit from Neverwet treatment.  Intake manifolds, engine blocks, and alternators are great examples.  Where high temperatures prevent traditional protection like wax or clearcoat paint from working, Neverwet is revolutionary. 

I've tried both wax and 'High Temp' clearcoat on various motorcycle engines.  The clearcoat sealed the surface and made cleaning easier, but it didn't shed water very well, and it turned yellow within a few weeks.  Wax worked better at first, but it was hard to apply, nearly impossible to polish, and it did not last.  I don't think either product can take the heat in this difficult application. I've also tried a popular mud repelling spray from the bike shop that's supposed to make washing easy, but that was a disappointment, too.

Ross Technologies developed Neverwet to protect surfaces while surviving temperatures up to 400F, so it's perfect for this application!  Motorcyclists and hot rodders will love it!

The dull gray surface of cast aluminum is a natural match to the Neverwet color.  With careful, even application, I think Neverwet actually improves the appearance of cast aluminum.  And, the benefits are easily worth the cost of a Neverwet kit or two - this use eliminates hours of tedious detailing work!

Try it, you'll see.

My example is a motorcycle, but custom car and boat owners will find similar applications.  Use on the cylinder head and unpolished portions of the crankcase, as shown below, for a unique combination of protection and durability not available elsewhere:

Neverwet on Cylinder

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-16T18:22:53+0000  by Pleunetuned Pleunetuned

First, I tested the application on one side of a cast aluminum plate.  This has a much smoother surface than the typical rough surface of a sand casting, so highlights the appearance change more.  Even so, the Neverwet didn't change the appearance much, and in fact made it look smooth and uniform, hiding minor flows like scratches.

Uncoated Side:

Coated Side:

Works great:

Posted 2013-06-22T16:01:34+0000  by Pleunetuned

Next, I wanted to make sure it would really stand engine termperatures.  I have measured temperatures in the high 200s on this cylinder, measured with my infrared thermometer. But what if it gets hotter than that?

I baked it to find out.  Set oven to 375F:

Here's a very short video of the sample, just so show it's really been baked.  Note the sizling sound at first, it's HOT alright!

Sizzling Hot!

Cool, and retest.  Still works:

So, yes, heat is OK.  No discoloration, or reduction in effectiveness.

Posted 2013-06-22T16:21:11+0000  by Pleunetuned
Update: I did a full wash, using a degreaser type detergent. The coating performance suffered under that chemical attack - the detergent solution immediately wet the Neverwet surface, and extended rinsing did not restore the water repellency. So, you should probably just use plain water on any parts which you have coated with Neverwet, or you may need to re-coat. Durability seemed fine, however, until I did ruined it, ignoring the manufacturer's warning. As noted by Neverwet, cleaners do seem to interfere with performance. But I couldn't resist testing their warning. Well, the manufacturer seems to be correct on this limitation. I can't complain....they told me so!
Posted 2013-07-13T17:54:14+0000  by Pleunetuned

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+