Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

New Deck

Hello,

I installed new pressure treated wood from Home Depot on my deck last year, and now I am ready to seal it with an oil based sealer.

Some people say I have to pressure wash and sand before sealing, some people say just pressure wash, and some say just sand before sealing...a few have said that as long as I give it a good scrub with water, I dont need to pressure wash and sand, I can just seal it right away (as long as the deck is dry).

Why are there so many different procedures and which one is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-06-05T14:05:50+0000  by Miloman Miloman

Hey Miloman,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

Just like any home improvement project, you'll get various ways to approach it. Since decks can vary in age, condition, and type, this is why you are seeing so many different ways to prepare your deck before staining.

Your deck is somewhat new, but with it being a year old, I would still recommend to pressure wash it first. It will do the work for you rather than using your hands and knees scrubbing it, saving you time, money, and your own energy.

The only time you need to sand a deck is if the surface area has been stained or painted and/or that top layer is becoming loose be it a coating or the grain of the wood itself.

As long as your deck has been cleaned via the pressure washer (you'll thank yourself later that you did) and the surface is in a good unfinished condition, (no splinters or stains/paint flaking off it) then you can easily apply an oil or water based exterior rated deck stain of your choice on top of it. 

Easy as that!

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2019-06-05T15:13:58+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thank you so much Joseph!
Posted 2019-06-05T15:36:15+0000  by Miloman
Hello Miloman and welcome to the Community.

I would like to add something to consider.  Power washer are great for getting the job done but you must realize you are forcing a great deal of moisture into the wood.  Make sure you allow enough time to let the wood completely dry before you apply your sealer.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte
Posted 2019-06-06T14:30:26+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+