Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

New Flower Bed

I am starting a new flower bed on the side of my house.  Should I put the new dirt and mulch right up against the house or should I keep it a small distance from the house?  Thank you.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-01-25T20:34:37+0000  by Chris1104 Chris1104

Image result for images of garden bed by foundation home depot

Greetings Chris1104, 

Welcome to Home Depot Community! 

Making new garden beds is very exciting, thank you for your question! 

Amending the soil is always a great way to start a growing season whether it is a new garden or an established bed. 

Adding compost and fresh bags of garden soil along with turning the site is a positive way to begin the growing season, an enriched bed with aerated soil will only benefit the plants overall health, adding to a bountiful harvest and beautiful blooms!  

I suggest turning the soil with a pitchfork going down 6-8 inches, make sure you contact the “Dig Safe” network in your area to ensure that no gas, water or utility lines could be disturbed while digging. 

Garden beds can border a house foundation just make sure that the drainage runs away from the foundation 

Shrubs should be planted at least 3-4 feet from the foundation, the plant will grow and mature and the plant will need room to spread it roots and branches, air should be able to circulate around the foliage. Planting too close to the foundation can lead to trouble, mold and mildew can form and grow on vinyl siding, wood shingles will rot, algae and moss will grow on stone and brick if plants are too close to a building, space is key to the success of a plant. 

Annuals and perennials can be planted a bit closer because they grow in a seasonality time frame.

Edibles need space to grow, the soil in a herb or vegetable patch should be analyzed to make sure there is no toxins in the soil, for example; lead can be found in garden beds surrounding old buildings, a by-product, from chipped ageing lead paint

Raised beds with all fresh soil are great for edibles because you are in total control of the soil make-up. 

Mulch is the perfect way to top a flower garden or to finish off a landscape bed with shrubs. Mulch is not only aesthetically pleasing, mulch will also keep weeds down, mulch helps hold moisture in the soil and insulate the plant roots. Do not pile mulch up against a building, grade mulch away from buildings. 

Happy digging, I wish you great success and I hope you harvest great times and beautiful plants!  Maureen 

Posted 2020-01-28T18:30:22+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hi Chris1104.

Thank you for your question.

Never a good idea to put your flowerbed right up next to your home.  The moisture from the soil in the flower bed can cause damage to your structure.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2020-01-28T19:03:19+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+