Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

New LED lighting from EcoSmart and The Home Depot

Home Depot Now offers a line of high-efficiency LED drop-in light bulbs for use in standard fixtures in your home. 

This line includes some of the most common recessed lighting and table lamp bulbs (you know, the fixtures that we probably leave on longer than we should :smileyhappy:) Including a Par38, Par30, Par20, A19, and MR16, there is even a complete recessed light trim and bulb combo. 

These bulbs have no Mercury content and do not need to be recycled the way CFLs do. 

They range from 2700K -3000k in color temp (soft white) 

I am now patiently waiting for bulbs to burn out in my house so I can upgrade to the no-flicker instant-start fully-dimmable LED's. 

-Blake

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-27T00:14:12+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake, any idea when Home Depot will be introducing 4' LED replacements for fluorescent fixtures?  I heard they have the technology in Europe!

Posted 2010-10-28T04:46:24+0000  by reddimix

Hi Blake,

I have a question for you about the "color" of the LED bulbs. I absolutely hate the dim, yellow glow that most of these bulbs give out.

What bulbs are the closest to the good 'ole light bulbs we always used? I had the older "curly cue" bulbs (lol), when they first came out and I couldn't stand them!

Thanks,

Cat

Posted 2010-10-28T11:09:39+0000  by CatinMI

Hey Cat.

Over the past few years I have watched the spiral compact fluorescent evolve. We now carry these bulbs in a soft white, which has that yellow hue you are talking about, bright white which is whiter, and the daylight  which is the whitest with a blue hue.

Those regular bulbs "incandescent bulbs" that we grew up with are soft white bulbs. I would recommend that if you do not like the yellowish hue, maybe try a daylight or bright white bulb. I use the daylight myself, but some people prefer the bright white.

As for the LED lights they, right now , only come in that very bright white color right now, which is closest to the daylight color.

Thanks for being part of our community, and welcome to the family. Check out this site and you can get a better idea.

http://www.drmediaserver.com/CFLGuide/index.html

Hey reddimix.

This is Ingar from the Atlanta store, and I have presented my question to my Merchants "buyers" and have not received a response yet. It is my suspicion, that given the price of LED bulbs currently, bringing in those bulbs right now may present a problem due to what may be a less than desirable price point. This is such cutting edge technology it may have to be rolled out slowly until the prices become more appealing to the homeowner. This could just be speculation until I hear from them. I will give you their answer the second I hear from them, and we are very glad to have you as a member of our community.

Posted 2010-10-28T13:31:53+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hey there Cat! I wanted to expand a little bit on the color spectrum question. Hold on tight, because it is about to get nerdy!

Flourescent light bulbs do not produce light in even distribution across the visible light spectrum. Instead they produce large amounts of light from specific points in the visible light spectrum and nominal light from the rest of it. When they are rated in K (kelvin) it is an average temperature across the entire visible light spectrum. This results in fluorescents looking "Weird."

In contrast, LEDs produce light in a much more uniform fashion, much like a regular incandescent light bulb although more uniform. The EcoSmart LED's produce anywhere from 2700-3000K. Regular incandescents range anywhere from 2400-3000K depending on how hard they are being driven (only halogen incandescents will get up to 3000K).

To make a long story short, LED's will look much more like regular bulbs than fluorescents, even if they are the same color temperature.

I hope this helps CatInMI! 

-Blake

Posted 2010-10-28T18:44:55+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hi Blake,

Do you think that there would ever be LED light bulbs for "non-standard" fixtures? Such as circline or tube fluorescent bulbs? Just wondering.

Posted 2010-11-22T23:42:45+0000  by racer

Hey Racer great question, The Home Depot is working with its manufacturers on this technology, however we don't have any dates or timelines to share. 

Thank you for your interest Racer, this technology is going to be huge!

Posted 2010-11-30T19:20:27+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake: Loved the video, glad to see the option for LED's on the shelf . For the people who can not justify, or plain can not afford the LED's I would love to see you do a video to show people the Phillips BR 30 bulb 40 = 65 lamp, SKU 905-234. It is a shorter life, more energy consuming bulb, but it does cost a LOT less than the LED bulbs while still yielding an energy savings, that is shouted out on the package. It also is popular as an almost  comparable to the LEDs because ( as I am sure you know) Halogen lamps are 100 % dimable with almost every dimmer Home Depot sells. It would also be good to remind people that dimming this group of bulbs can stretch their life out by a multiple of times the factory 3000 hours. Which makes them an attractive option to a CFL in " can " or other lighting projects.

On the wall on either side of my garage door the medium based lamps that are similar to these items have lasted over 3 years now. I started out with ceiling fan bulbs, they lasted weeks, the extra money sure was worth it, not having to get out the ladder to change the bulbs over the last more than a year!

Posted 2011-03-02T07:28:37+0000  by elect_answers

Hey elect_answers, you are absolutely right. I may end up doing a video in the future about the pros and cons of all the lighting options out there these days. Cost can definitely be prohibitive on the newer technology, and halogent bulbs definitely still have their place. 

You are absolutely right about the Trim and bulb in one, it is an awesome choice which really looks more seamless than even incandescent options, and the 2700K color temp really helps it blend in with tratditonal lighting. 

As someone who has been watching LED technology very closely over the past few years it is very exciting to see functional and affordable (relitively speaking) technology hitting the shelfs. In generall I am not suggesting that most customers replace all their lights at once as that would be very expensive (not to say that it is a bad idea). But as bulbs go out in your home it is really a great investment. With the lifetime on these LEDs you can save more than $200 per bulb in many cases. You are right bulb life is a HUGE deal on LEDs. For many people it will be the last lightbulb they ever need to replace! (no more bulb chagers or ladders!)

Thanks for your feedback elect_answers!

-Blake 

Posted 2011-03-02T20:30:49+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake : Loved the video, glad to see the product on the shelves! Wish you would have said something about SKU 499-485 the recessed "light bulb" and trim all in one. They are a huge deal here in the 'burbs of Chicago. I talked to 1 man who said 10 in his living room dropped the temp in the room 2 degrees. Another told me changing the 18 in his basement cut so much heat he added a small heater when his grand childern spend time in the basement !

A feature that some  people miss when reading the packaging making the decision " to buy or not to buy " is the number on the bottom of the package. I am reffering to the " 46 ". The number of years it is expected to give light to it's user. Justifying putting out the money for this product gets a lot easier when a customer sees the cost, and is able to spread it out over a larger quantity of time. Now after the math , now LED as a light source is a logical choice.

I have also seen more than 2 or 3 happy consumers when they see them a a good choice to use in a " can " light over a shower. Now , the lack of heat produced, along with the long life make them an easy choice.

Posted 2011-03-09T19:59:49+0000  by elect_answers

I just had a CFL BR30 burn out in my kitchen ceiling, so I decided to try one of these new LED lights.

I first bought an Ecosmart brand bulb, because it was a little cheaper than the Philips, and claimed to be a little brighter.  However, when I got it home I discovered that it didn't fit in the fixture.  The bulb wasn't tapered enough, and wouldn't screw in far enough to make electrical contact.

So I returned it and bought a Philips BR30 bulb, which did fit the fixture. 

I like it a lot.  Unlike the CFLs, it comes on full brightness immediately (or with a half-second pause).  It takes the Conserv-Energy CFLs almost 5 minutes to come to full brightness.  It is also whiter, and seems more natural. 

If they were cheaper, I would replace all 7 of my ceiling bulbs with LEDs, but I may spread them out over a few years.  Hopefully the price will come down in the near future.

Posted 2011-04-19T17:07:13+0000  by daryllafferty
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+