Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

New ceiling kitchen light wiring question

Hello, I had a contractor leave without finishing replacing the ceiling light in my kitchen. I've bought a new one but just have a question on the wiring. Here's what he left me... I have two black, two white, a red..and there is also a bare ground wire that you can't see in the picture.

This is the light I bought.. it has two white and two black. Any tips on how to hook this up? Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-08T15:21:37+0000  by bluebeetle bluebeetle

Do you have any electrical test equipment?  Ideally you would want to test to see which of the wires is controlled by the switch.  If I had to guess, it's probably the red one.  Connect, the two blacks of the light fixture to the red wire, two whites of the light fixture to the wire whites, and the bare ground of the light fixture to the bare ground in the box.  Carefully tuck the two remaining black wires up into the box.
Posted 2018-08-09T01:13:52+0000  by Adam444
Hello bluebeetle.  Welcome to the Community!

I agree with Adam that the red wire goes back to a wall switch.  If your electrician was following color convention that would be the case.  The pair of black wires in the ceiling would be an always on power passing through the ceiling  box to another box.  The same goes for the pair of white neutral wires, which you will need to tap into when you hook up the light fixture, (load) to the ceiling box.

Please make sure that power is switched off at the circuit breaker, and test it carefully before you try and connect wires.  If you do not have a power tester or multimeter, by all means buy one before you tackle this project.

Chris.

Posted 2018-08-10T13:15:18+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+