Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

New paver path... and then the rain came

Hi everyone,

I am new here but have been reading a bit and it seems like a great place to ask for advice.  This past weekend I installed a paver path in my backyard connecting my deck to my driveway.  My yard is flat.  I used concrete pavers that look like stone.  I dug down about 5 1/2 inches and put in 3 inches of paver base gravel.  I then hand tamped it.  After that I put on 1 inch of paver sand, layed the pavers, and placed edging around the whole path.  I then filled in the sides with dirt and sod I had saved when digging the path.  Afterwards I spread paver sand on top with a broom and made sure it when down in the grooves between the pavers.  I then watered the pavers and let it dry.  I put more paver sand on top of the pavers and ran a broom over it again.  Everything looked good and you were able to walk on the path with no paver movement.

Then the rain came.  It rained pretty hard today (3 days after I installed the path).  I came home to take a look at it and a lot of the sand that was visible between the pavers had washed down further between them.  I thought no big deal I can just spread some more on it once it dries.  I then took a step on a few to see how it would hold up in the rain and that's when I sank in.  The paver sand gushed up the sides and the paver sand an inch or so.  This happened to a few of them.  Obviously this is not good.  How can I fix this?  And also how can I prevent this from happening again?  I would like for the pavers to be set and not shift or move at all when it rains.  Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-28T02:12:48+0000  by jeffster306 jeffster306

Hey jeffster306.

There is one last step that we forgot to do, but it is not too late. Once the pavers are put in place, it is necessary to run a plate compactor over them. This will seat them down in the paver base properly. It sounds like the area that was dug out is also holding water, creating a bowl that the pavers are in. If problems persist even after running the compactor over the pavers then you will need to run a relief ditch, about 10 inches deep off of the lowest part of the sidewalk and fill it with drainage rock. This will redirect the water away from the sidewalk keeping the pavers from shifting.

compactor.jpgpaverjeffster.JPG

Posted 2011-07-28T12:42:41+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Greengiant,

Thanks for the reply.  Would I be able to get away with using a hand tamper?  I didn't want to rent a plate compactor for such a small area.  And I didn't tamp it down at the end because I thought the pavers might chip if I hit them wrong.

Either way, will I need to wait until the sand is completely dry underneath and then reset the pavers that sunk?  After this will I need to compact?

Also, do you know how much I can expect the pavers to sink when compacting them for the final time?  I ask this because I have already for the edging around the side and filled the sides back in with the sod.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted 2011-07-28T13:09:09+0000  by jeffster306

Hey jeffster306.

A hand tamper will chip the pavers. You are going to have to walk across this thing 100,000 more times and each time it is going to eat at you. This plate compactor is going to be the thing to finish this project and fix the problem. I know that it seems like a waste but it will save you a lot of grief down the road. My store rents them for about $57 for 4 hours and I promise that this will be the best $57 you ever spent.

Posted 2011-07-28T13:59:55+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Greengiant,

Ok thanks for the help.  I will head out and rent one this weekend if it dries up.

Before I use the plate compactor will I need to reset all of my pavers again or just the ones that sunk a bit?

Posted 2011-07-28T15:36:58+0000  by jeffster306

Hey jeffster306.

You should only have to reset the sunken pavers, for the compactor will drive the higher pavers down 1/4 to 1/2 inch to help even things out a bit.

Posted 2011-07-28T17:06:17+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+