Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

New website design?

Realizing that people, generally, do not like change because it takes them out of their comfort zone, I'm not sure the new design is going to encourage people to use this resource more.

When you're in the store, what is the most common response to a question like "May I help you find something?" or "What project are you working on today?" It is "I'm just looking" or "I'm just browsing." Do they need help? Yes, but they want to see what's available before asking or admitting ignorance of their needs. This redesign does not allow the casual visitor to browse easily. They can't pick a category that interest them unless it happens to show up in the Trending section.

What do they do if they've posted a question a week ago, their spam filter blocked the automagic reply email from the site and they've come back to see if there's an answer? How do you find it?

You have a lot of wasted space taken up by the "Leaders" section. Do we really need to know that The Home Depot employees have the most posts on the website? Shouldn't they? What does this have to do with getting my question answered or how does it help?

What does someone do that doesn't have a question, but they want to share an experience they had dealing with slugs a coffee table they just built? For those that like to answer questions, where do they find ones that haven't had a response for a couple days or questions in areas of their expertise?

While it may not seem like it, I am trying to stay positive about this and offer some constructive criticism. At least for me, I'd rather have substance, than fluff. Nothing I've seen so far is intuitive.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-04-04T00:10:33+0000  by Paul Paul

When choosing the category of posts to read, such as "paint" , why does it not default to the last question posted and in chronological order?

Why are the categories not listed more prominently at the top? Frankly, when the new design came out, I thought the system was broken and not posting new entries. It is not all tha intuitive.
Posted 2014-04-09T16:28:23+0000  by ordjen

Thank you for visiting and providing feedback on our newly redesigned Home Depot Community site. We apologize for any confusion this transition may have caused. 

In response to your concerns regarding unanswered questions, you can now find unanswered questions two ways:

1.  On the Homepage, scroll down to categories and click on a category.   Then filter your search using Show:  Unanswered Questions and Sorted By:  Recent Activity.  When you do that, unanswered questions will escalate to the top of the category you are in.

2.  Use the same process on the Full-Search Page.  To get to the Full-Search Page, click on the orange magnifying glass button next to home page search bar and filter your search using Show:  Unanswered Questions Within:  Category of your choice and Sorted By:  Recent Activity (see screenshot). 

Also – if you have posted a question, but the automatic reply email was blocked by your spam filter, you can still find your question by following this step: 

Use the same process on the Full-Search Page.  To get to the Full-Search Page, click on the orange magnifying glass button next to home page search bar and filter your search using Show:  Unanswered Questions Within:  Category of your choice and Sorted By:  Recent Activity. 

Shelley

Posted 2014-04-09T20:03:16+0000  by Shelley_HD_CHI
Thank you for responding Shelley... I would like you to think about this for a few minutes...

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” 
―Confucius

You are having to explain how this site functions to two individuals who are among your all-time most prolific contributors. How do you think someone new to this site going to fare?

I've been on the 'net since before there was a 'net, IRC, CompuServ and BBS's. My life before my present job involved hardware and software technical sales and support for major technology companies. It's safe to assume I'm quite comfortable using just about any technology you throw at me. This site is not user friendly.

You started out with the traditional forum look and feel utilizing the store departments. Then decided you needed to tweak things a bit and added more categories (not great, but certainly didn't break anything), many of which overlapped, but the site grew.

Now? The same items have been trending for a week.

Posted 2014-04-09T20:23:47+0000  by Paul
“Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful.” ― John Maeda, The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
Posted 2014-04-09T20:38:40+0000  by Paul
Paul,

My experience doesn't pre-date the "'net" but I was "online" in '92, long before most people understood what that meant and this is the most counter-intuitive site I've seen in a long time.  Finding anything requires far too many clicks and I'd guess that sends many people running.

I hate to sound disparaging but I suspect this is the work of some social media graduate who really didn't understand the product.
Posted 2014-04-10T04:47:15+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+