Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

New wiring to outside shed

I had a garage in my backyard that we had to tear down.  The garage had electrical for lights, outlets, etc.  When I tore down the garage I had an electrician safely cut the power to the wire and tie it off.  I now want to build a shed at the back of my yard and I'd like to run power to it.  The wire that is currently in my yard from the old garage isn't long enough to get to where I would need it.  I'm wondering how I go about extending(lengthening) this wire so I can use it in the new shed when it's built.  We dug up a bunch of driveway in the back and will be getting sod shortly so I will easily be able to run the wire under the grass.  For now I'd just like to lengthen the wire somehow and run it back to where the shed will be but I will be storing the new wire underground for a few weeks until the shed is built.

Suggestions??  Can I do this on my own or do I have to hire a pro??

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-20T15:29:52+0000  by Peekay Peekay

Hey Peekay,

Well theres a few more variables we need to talk about regarding this.

That's not to say it can be done; we just need some more information regarding what wires and how much power is on the circuit now.

If the shed you want to build will have the same or almost the same amount of power (amps) running to it, you should be able to run more cable to it.

But, if the shed is a long distance, you are running the risk of amperage loss due to the length run.
Before we get into that, I'll need to get some more information from you.

• What type of wire/circuit went to the old garage? Let us know in amps, not volts, so we can better ascertain what you have. Anything like the number on the breaker to the gauge wire used will greatly help.
  • What kind of power equipment as well as lights and receptacles did you want to put in your new shed? Even future things that you aren't planning on getting right away should be considered too (like compressors, welders, etc.)
  • How far would the wire go to the new shed? This also includes from the circuit breaker panel directly to the site of the new shed, not where it ends now at the old garage.

Once you answer these questions, then we can dig deeper in this project. If you are in a HOA or zoning area where it will require you to have a permit for doing this, I would recommend contacting a local electrician for any codes and regulations.

Thats not to say you can do this yourself, but it will be better at this stage for at least local consultation if it is needed. I would at least contact one if you decide to place more circuits than what you had on the garage.

If you can answer the questions I posted above, then I can go further to discuss this project with you.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-20T15:45:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

The breakers says 15 amps.  The garage was 16x30 and the new shed will be 8x10.   The garage had a big light and 4 power outlets.  I'll probably be going with a light(single 60 or 100 watt bulb) and 1 or 2 outlets on the shed.  I would be using it to plug in some power tools and a radio, maybe a table saw but nothing too big.

I would say the distance from the panel to the wire now is about 50 feet and i'd be adding about 15 feet or so.  The current wire has a hard black sheathing around it....I'm assuming I'll need to add some of that as well.

Thanks for the help

Posted 2013-07-21T05:33:42+0000  by Peekay
Just checked the wire itself and it says "Philips 14/2 copper". And that's all I can read on it because if the thick plastic covering it had
Posted 2013-07-21T23:03:48+0000  by Peekay

You are very welcome Peekay.

As long as you want to run just the light and a few receptacles you were describing, it sounds like you aren't exceeding the amount of power you had on your old garage.

If you don't add any more devices on the circuit, a 14 gauge wire at that length would be enough the carry power. It wouldn't hurt though, to add a higher amperage wire (like 10 gauge) to it. However, if that's all you will ever carry in the shed, then what you have now will suffice.

You will need to add more wire, and you will need to keep it the same size and type. You will also need to place the connection of where the old meets the new wire via a junction box. And if this junction is going outside, the box needs to be waterproof and exterior grade.

Anytime the wire will go up the exterior surface of anywall (you can bury UF grade in the ground), you will need to run conduit in it. If you can get the wire in the shed without it meeting a vertical surface, then you can forgoe the conduit.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep me updating on your progress.

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-24T19:11:09+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+