Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

No idea what I'm doing with paint and plaster

I've painted a few times in my life and I've decided to paint the inside of my home.  After painting my first room, I notice the paint did not go on the wall as to what I'm use to.  I learned that all my walls have a thin layer of plaster on them.  So, now I've competed three rooms and I want to start all over again .  Before I do this I thought I wouldn't ask for some help.  I also notice that in the hallway, which I've painted, the paint is peeling off and I mean in sheets lol.  
So, now to my questions....  first, can I put paint on the wall that does not look so fake and also won't peel off?  I have cleaned the walls, and also taken a small hole maker thing (the thing used with wall paper, to take it off) and I've even taken my sander and used it, in hopes the paint would stick better.
I'm actually at the point to where I want to remove all the walls and redo them, but that's to much lol.  I also have learned, when I needed to make a hole in one of the walls in the bedroom, that there is drywall their but just a small layer of plaster on the all the walls in the house.
So, please help this poor, uneducated soul make the inside of his home more natural.  Both my ears are now open........

Thanks
J.r.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-10-07T23:51:31+0000  by Jr1465 Jr1465

We're going to need a few more details before anyone can help you effectively.

• Where these walls painted previously?  If so, what steps did you take to prep them for new paint, before you started having problems
  • What paint (brand, type) of paint did you use?
  • Is the paint peeling in sheets anywhere but in the hallway?

There's a couple of ways walls are "skim coated."  One uses a special type of drywall along with a thin coat  (1/8") of actual plaster.  It's meant to mimic the appearance of plaster at a lower cost but is still expensive, requiring a high level of skill to apply properly and likely to be found in high end homes.  The other option is a textured coat of drywall compound and it's more prevalent in certain parts of the country.  Some times the texturing is sanded down or even coated again to smooth the walls.  I would suspect that's what you have.

Posted 2017-10-08T00:59:44+0000  by Adam444
Thank  for your interest and help this far....
First I really don't know.  This home was purchased back in 2005 and we paid someone to paint it all white back then.  Now, I want to add some color to my life.  To be honest, the peeling of the paint in the hallway is caused by my cat and I.  My cat appears to love to scratch the corner and I notice some paint coming off and when I went to take it off, it came off in a sheet.  Of course this was the paint that I painted on there recently.
I want to go back over the paint I've already placed on the walls because I went to dark with and want to replace with a lighter color.  Then I want to start on the rest of the house in a light color.  I've just never painted on this material before and I'm willing to try anything.  So, any starting suggestions I'll try and let you know how it turns out as I go along.

Thanks
J.r.
Posted 2017-10-08T02:18:16+0000  by Jr1465
 Of course, the more loose paint removed the better, but the new primer should help glue down the poor quality paint. You might want to try a test spot. If you prime, allow at least 24 hours before poking or scratching at it. Acrylic paints and primers increase their adhesion over about a month. It you scratch at it an hour after painting, it probably will scratch off. After 24 hours it has a substantial portion of its maximum adhesion
Posted 2017-10-08T06:35:52+0000  by ordjen
Sorry, the above post was in answer to "Fixing bad paint job in bathroom" post.
Posted 2017-10-08T06:41:51+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+