Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Outdoor Living

Outdoor privacy HELP

Hello,

I have a large outdoor balcony/terrace that I would like to add some privacy to.  I am wanting to use outdoor curtains, my problem is with a support base & post in which to run a curtain line. There is not dirt ground to dig a hole to support the post and the half wall is solid. I have tried using a pier block with a 4x4 but that is too heavy.  I would appreciate any ideas you may have, I am open to other ideas besides outdoor curtains. 

Thank you,
Sean

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-10-20T21:10:06+0000  by ccstii ccstii

Hello ccstii and welcome to the community.

It is not totally clear to me what type of surface you are trying to install your base and post to.  What is your half wall material and is that where you would like to install your curtain?  If that is the case you may consider a post base that is anchored to the solid half wall using concrete anchors.

For example a 1/2” black iron flange, found in the plumbing department can be affixed to a solid surface.  Then a pipe cut to whatever length you need, can be screwed into the flange.

Pipe Flange

Or if you would like something a bit more decorative see the picture below of an aluminum pier base for a post light and use an exterior lamp post.

Decorative Post Base

One type of anchor screw is the Tapcon. You will have to predrill the hole for the anchor using a Tapcon bit.  Select the box with the arrow to view a descriptive video on how to install these anchors.

Tapcon Anchor Screws

Tapcon Bit

If you have more details to share, I would like to hear back from you.  I may have more options for you

Charlotte

I am a Home Depot associate trained and authorized to help people on the internet.

Posted 2014-10-21T15:23:45+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Howdy ccstii,

Another idea I have used myself is using Bamboo fencing. This is easy to install and easy to remove.

Another more cost effective, but not as long lasting is Reed fencing.

If you attach with cable ties your ready to go.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas,

Happy Building,

Coach Dave

Posted 2015-02-03T01:40:07+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+