Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Outside door seal

The door going outside has a 1/2-3/4 inch gap from the outside floor.  Problem is that it opens onto a carpet and is flush with it.  I can see the gap and light as well as feel the big draft it causes, especially in 60mph winds.  How can I seal this gap?.  Also I taped all windows and still get draft through them.  How to stop those drafts.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-01-13T18:40:22+0000  by Nill Nill

Hey Nill,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

If you have that small amount of gap from the bottom of the door, I would suggest a door sweep.

Shown below, this is a great option to keep the door opening freely, but to stop or greatly reduce the amount of draft you are experiencing.

E/O 2 in. x 36 in. Satin Nickel Reinforced Rubber Door Sweep

Slide-on under door seals can also work, but the sweep option I have shown above works easier for installation. 

It also takes out the guess work of figuring the depth of your door, as the door sweep can be fastened on the door bottom, regardless of size besides having to possibly reduce the width of it (can be easily cut via a metal rated hacksaw). 

As for the drafts in the windows, you can opt for indoor window insulation kit. It's easy to use and I've personally used it to stop a drafty window at my old place. Click here to view it and read more details on it. 

Let us know if we can assist you further.

Joseph

Posted 2020-01-13T18:53:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thanks for the fast reply.  How would this sweep work with carpet?  Door swings inward and the carpet is nearly right against the door and when the door opens it currently racks the carpet.  Would a sweep be too much for the carpet?
Posted 2020-01-13T20:37:40+0000  by Nill

You are very welcome.

The beauty of the installation of the door sweep is that you can install it however high or low you wish, provided the screw holes go into the door itself. 

You can check out that, or the bottom under-door seal option I wrote of at your local Home Depot to see how it can work best for you. If you are pressed for time or can't go to a store, you can view the options online and read various specs.

Since carpet is a very flexible material over tile and wood, either one of these options should and most likely will work to eliminate or greatly reduce your drafty door bottom issue.

Posted 2020-01-13T21:04:39+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
The trouble with a fixed sweep is that if you get it tight enough to seal against the threshold it's likely going to hang up on the carpeting when you open the door.  I might suggest an "automatic" sweep or seal.  There's a couple of different styles depending on what kind of door you have, budget, and skill level.  Pemko is one company that makes them (there are others).  Trademark Hardware is a company that sells them so you can get an idea of pricing.  Standard disclaimer - I have no affiliation with either company.
Posted 2020-01-13T21:17:45+0000  by Adam444
Hi Nill,

The solution is to install a new threshold with a rubber weather seal, the door will contact the seal when closed and be free to move when opened, We offer several models including one the an adjustable height weather seal.

The links are below:

Standard Threshold with Weather Seal

Threshold with Adjustable Weather Seal

One of these should work for you.

Mike

Posted 2020-01-13T21:22:34+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hi Nill, 

Without pictures I don't know what you currently have under the door. If you have a threshold under your door that looks like the picture below, you might be able to close the gap. Those screws when turned, cause the wood or plastic portion to move up or down depending on the direction you turn. If you have one of these thresholds, watch this video that walks you through the process. If you don't have one of these, we do sell them at the Home Depot.  

Posted 2020-01-16T13:39:26+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+