Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Overwet soil with brown grass fungus

Hi,

I am new member of community and need your advice on backyard lawn. There is some shedy area in my backyard that is over wet. I can easily dig the soil. In that area small brown grass is growing.It looks like fungus. Can anyone assist On it?

Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-07-08T12:04:20+0000  by Manjinder Manjinder

Hi Manjinder,

You have hit the issue on the spot, excess moisture, the first step is to determine where the moisture is coming from. Is it a natural low spot on the property? Is there a leaking sprinkler system line in the area? Is water migrating from neighbors yard? Or has the space just been over watered? These questions need to be answered so a solution can be found to correct the problem.

If you are not a DIYer, have a local landscaper come in and inspect the area to determine a solution.

Mike
Posted 2019-07-08T21:02:53+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi Manjinder,

Welcome to The Community!

Mike is correct in that you should first determine if the moisture in the area can be controlled. Find the predominate source of water that feeds the area and try to reduce that flow. If it is a gutter downspout, you can re-route it to reduce the flow into this specific area.

If the wet area is lower than the surrounding yard, you might need to change the grade of the yard by excavating the soil to improve drainage. This will require heavy machinery to move the soil, so you might consider hiring a professional. 

Posting a picture would help us to better evaluate your situation. Use the "Upload Image" icon located in the toolbar at the top of the field where you write your response. Then choose an image that you have on your computer.

Thanks for asking,

-Travis

Posted 2019-07-09T14:28:04+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+