Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Painting an antique porcelain sink?

I have recently inherited my mother's childhood home. My great-grandfather built it in the 1950's. In the kitchen, there is a VERY large, pea green-colored, porcelain sink/counter. I would like to have a black sink, and would like to paint this one, if I can. I was reading up on it and someone suggested that I clean the sink, rub it with alcohol, apply a bonding agent, and then use a spray gun to paint it while wearing a ventilated mask. The only problem with that is that I do not want to have to spray paint it indoors and risk getting paint on my floors, walls, etc. However, it would be very difficult to get the fixture outside, because it does not fit through any doors and I am not sure how to disassemble it. Is there any way to paint it with a brush? And are there any other, less complicated methods you would recommend for this? Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-01-09T05:21:12+0000  by Cat1222 Cat1222

Frankly, painting a sink is going to be problematic and even more so if you don't want to do it correctly.  This is akin to refinishing a bath tub where you have a very smooth, very hard surface that you have to get paint to stick to.  Typically that involves etching the surface to provide "tooth" and then using a high quality, expensive component "paint."  It's a good solution in a bath tub that isn't subject to much physical abuse because bare feet are a lot softer than pot and pans.

I don't think it's worth the time and effort.
Posted 2015-01-09T16:43:24+0000  by Adam444
Hello Cat1222.  Welcome to the Community!

The only way I know of to refinish your sink "in house" as a DIY would be to use a 2-part epoxy kit.  These can be brushed or rolled on and at least 2 coats will be needed.  These products do not come in black.  Usually they are available in white and off-white colors like bone, biscuit and almond.

Click HERE for a choice of products.
I would avoid regular paint and one-part epoxy though.
Keep in mind that longevity will not match the original porcelain coating.

Chris.

Posted 2015-01-09T17:35:18+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hello Cat1222!

Chris has given you excellent advice!

The system he recommends requires prep using a warm solution of TSP and 000 Steel Wool.

Thoroughly scour the sink, repeatedly dipping the steel wool into the TSP solution.

Your goal is to dull the existing shine so the new coating will adhere well.

When you imagine you've cleaned it enough ... spend twenty more minutes scouring and then rinse with fresh, clean water.

Allow the surface to dry, mix your new coating according to instructions, and apply.

NOTE:
Chris is also correct that this product will not last as long as the original coating.

In my experience, these coating extend the life of a sink or tub by four-to-five years.

Very acceptable results when compared to the cost of replacing a sink or tub.
Posted 2015-05-07T14:53:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+