Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Patio Concrete Sealant and Stain/Paint

I have just purchased Lastiseal from Home Depot to get ready to seal my poured concrete in my backyard patio as well as my front porch/walkway/steps between the pavement and my front entrance.  I like the idea of sealing the concrete and I think the product will do the job... however, I also understand that it will not change the appearance of the concrete...  I want to know what options i have as I use this product that if I want to add some color to my concrete or to stain it, so I can add some color instead of leaving it a boring gray color.  What type of products should I use and in what sequence should I apply the products, etc.?

Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-06-10T19:05:29+0000  by tianjinbaba tianjinbaba

Hi tianjinbaba,

Lastiseal is designed to be used on bare concrete, it cannot be tinted, if after application, you want to paint the surface, that my be done but Lastiseal is not compatible with Latex paint, so an epoxy paint must be used.

Mike
Posted 2019-06-10T22:37:06+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hello tianjinbaba and welcome to the Community.

If you wish to change the color of concrete you should do it before you seal it with the Lastiseal.  
You can use a concrete dye and then apply the sealer.  Click HERE to view a previous post that deals with dyeing concrete and the preparation for that.

SURFACE PREPARATION FOR CONCRETE STAIN: All walls, furniture, columns, or other items/areas that you do not want to color should be masked using painter’s tape and plastic sheeting. This will protect the items from overspray. Concrete should be cured and clean, free of dirt, dust, residue and oil. Preetch with EAGLE ETCH & CLEAN until concrete readily absorbs water. Dense concrete surfaces may require mechanical preparation to accept dye. For oily surfaces, EAGLE CLEANER DEGREASER & NEUTRALIZER is recommended. Scrub surface with clean water and remove excess. Allow to dry 24 hours.  

PREP for LASTISEAL: Surfaces must be clean, bare and porous. Remove paints, sealers, curing compounds, adhesives, oil, grease, mold, efflorescence and other contaminants that might interfere with the penetration of the sealer. Hard-troweled concrete surfaces require chemical etching or mechanical abrasion to increase porosity. A sufficiently porous surface should readily absorb the sealer. If needed, use PowerEtch® Concrete Etcher & Cleaner to obtain a proper surface profile. Mask surfaces not intended to be sealed. Vacuum or blow off excessive dust and loose particles. 

We would love to see before and after photos of your project if you care to share.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte
Posted 2019-06-11T13:54:04+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+