Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Plywood cutting with panel saw below 10"

I'm a contractor and installing many countertops, for apartment complexes. 

From each 4'x8' plywood sometime I have them cut it in half to get two 2' pieces or cut one 24" and another 21" for vanity and remaining is 3" .

There is a new young employee at Home Depot saying he can not cut my 21" becuase the remaining is 3" and Home Depot policy is no cut under 10" with panel saw.
I never had that issue before and I ask for manager and posted policy on wall next to the saw but manager decided to cut it for me, but again 2 days later my father went there, the same young employee said the same thing and didn't cut it for him.

Is this something new or he got misunderstood during training for cutting with panel saw?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-09T16:08:10+0000  by Ashkan Ashkan

Hello Ashkan, and welcome to the Community!

Yes, the person that said they could not cut it for you was correct, at my store we actually don't cut less than 12 inches; there is a policy in place as we are told during training and or employee orientation, it's a matter of safety. The reason for this is the panel saw blade doesn't have enough support to hold the small piece and that the small piece could fall into the blade. 

~Angelo

Posted 2018-08-09T16:45:09+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
I love it when a company provides a free service and people feel that they are somehow entitled to that service.  The saw at Home Depot, Lowe’s and anywhere exists simply to rough cut materials for transport.  If someone tells you it’s unsafe to make a cut, then you don’t go looking for a manager to break the rules because you’re special.   Certainly as a contractor you have a truck and a circular saw.  If you’re doing a lot of countertops, then a track saw would be a worthwhile investment.  Festool makes a really nice one but DeWalt and Makita offer them too.
Posted 2018-08-09T23:18:36+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+