Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Primer under laminate flooring

We just bought a house. It's vacant and it smells. The previous owners had pets who seemed to have peed around the house. We want to rip out of the carpet and lay down new laminate flooring, and we were recommended to buy Kilz oil based primer to get rid of the pet urine on the floors. I already bought Kilz, but now the guys at the flooring department say that I shouldn't paint the floor if I want want to put in laminate flooring.  How can I get rid of the pet smell then? Someone recommended Zinsser Odor sealing  primer. Can I use that under a laminate floor? Please help, we wanted to start working on the house this weekend.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-01-27T13:30:14+0000  by ZellaDecor ZellaDecor

The flooring guys are wrong.  I don't know why they would say that for when you lay laminate over concrete you need to put down a moisture barrier and we used to use black plastic which we rolled up the wall a bit so that it was impervious to moisture.  

What you need is a shellac to seal the floor like Zinsser Bin primer.  It's done all the time when there is smoke damage.  You'll have to let it air out.  It is cleanup with oil.  Just buy some cheap brushes and roller covers and toss when done.  Then I would use Pergo Gold under the laminate regardless of whether or not the laminate has a barrier pre-attached.

I am a contractor and I install flooring regularly, a lot of laminate, tile and vinyl.
Posted 2018-01-27T19:07:04+0000  by painters1953
 Another alternative for a primer is Kilz Max. Max is a water based epoxy primer. Epoxies are good moisture barriers, and a such. also make good odor barriers. Most people prefer not to mess with oil or shellac based products and their strong odors. Water clean up is a bonus.
Posted 2018-01-28T06:00:30+0000  by ordjen
Thank you for your answers. So you wouldn't recommend using the Kilz odorless oil based primer that I have?
Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out!
Posted 2018-01-28T12:54:10+0000  by ZellaDecor
 Kilz Odorless would work fine. It is not truely odorless, buy is MUCH less odor than regular Original Kilz.
Posted 2018-01-30T05:53:23+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+