Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Quality issue with Deckmate brand screws breaking

Over the course of the past two months, I've purchased four separate boxes of Deckmate star drive coated screws from Home Depot to use in securing deckboards while remodeling my back deck:
  • (2) 1 lb boxes of 2 1/2" (item #: 1003 274 848)
  • (1) 5 lb box of 2 1/2" (1003 274 835)
  • (1) 1 lb box of 3 1/2" (1003 274 833)

I've since stained my deck and thought I was finished with the project when I began to notice some of the screws slightly "popping" loose.  While attempting to re-secure them with a drill, I determined that several of the screws had essentially begun to break.  So far I've discovered at least ten of them (photo of several below, along with an "unbroken" one for reference) that have broken, all in a similar spot on the screw.  

I now have to replace the screw (by drilling a new hole, since the broken piece is inserted too far to be able to remove), repair the hole left from the broken screw and finally restain any portion of the deck where broken screws were inserted.  In total, I used over 530 of these screws and put considerable labor into this project and am now very concerned regarding their long-term durability (like I mentioned the screws have been attached for less than two months).  The screws claim to have a lifetime warranty which is failing me at this point.  I have receipts for all of the screws.  Thanks for any help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-07-06T21:51:12+0000  by Pnflkc3 Pnflkc3

Hi Pnfkc3,

The quality of Deckmate screws is determined by the manufacturer, we have no control over quality issues other than report to them to the manufacturer. We will be happy to replace any defective screws, however any claims beyond screw replacement must be directed to the manufacturer.

Mike
Posted 2020-07-09T18:52:27+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Thanks Mike.  Do you know how I can obtain manufacturer contact information?  Boxes provide no information except that screws are distributed by Home Depot.  
Posted 2020-07-12T18:34:04+0000  by Pnflkc3
The post is informative enough for me to refer to, hopefully I complete my project scribble io
Posted 2020-07-15T02:20:15+0000  by kaleanna
Experiencing multiple failures of Deckmate screws breaking post installation. The failure may not be obvious, and the screw may appear ok, however if removal is attempted, the screw will just spin, bc it is broke usually at the top of the threads. I have 18 broken screws, out of 98,an 18% !! Any info would be appreciated.
Posted 2020-08-18T20:22:03+0000  by FORDMAN

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+