Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Queen Size Platform Bed That's Off The Floor

Due to how the landlord built the house one of the bedrooms is rather oddly shaped which lowers the amount of room for items. Due to this I would like to make a platform bed that has ample room for storage, i.e. mini fridge an a few foot lockers for seasonal clothes and keepsakes. Many of the plans I've seen have the bed very close to floor level and being Big And Tall this does not strike me as something I want.

Would like plans to make either an open system or four large box system keeping in mind I'm not light

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-25T23:50:40+0000  by Vermonster Vermonster

Hello Vermonster,

Welcome to the community.

Platform beds have been a hot topic on the community lately.

I like that you want to put a twist on it to fit your needs. I can really empathize with you on not wanting to bend down to the level of a normal platform bed. I’m not tall but I have bad knees so your idea would work out great for me also.

I’m one that builds everything heavy duty. I only like to build something once so I build it to last. I prefer to be able to break down all of my larger projects. This way I can move it easily if I ever need to. This is why I would build this with 4 individual boxes and then attach them together after they are built. It also gives you the option to make each one differently so you can have your mini fridge in one and shelves in the other. Maybe even drawers in one. Then build your top platform and attach it to the base. Make sure to use screws not nails so that when you need to disassemble it you just have to unscrew it. It makes it a lot easier and won’t damage the wood.

I have done a couple of sketches to show you how I would build it. The first one is of a basic box. I would use this as a foundation to all 4 boxes and then add to it from there. (ie: for the shelves or drawers.)

Boxes for the base.

The corners are 4” x 4”’s and the rest are 2” x 4”’s. After the framing is built I would sheet it with plywood. ½” would be fine since your framing is going to be so strong. You can either use a solid wood on the edges or just add an outside corner molding outside corner molding.jpgor some quarter round quarter round.jpgto hide the edges of the plywood.  Once all 4 boxes are built you can modify each one to create your shelving or any other combination you want. If your bed is going to be next to a wall you can leave the end open and can store your surf board, skis, snowboard or any other long items in that section.

Tall platform bed frame.JPG                                                                                                        tall bed top view.JPG            

Platform.

I would use ¾” plywood and solid wood around the outside to cover the edges. If you use 2 sheets of plywood cut to size (side by side) and then add the solid piece of wood around them it will look really clean. Center the top onto the base and then screw it down so it won’t move on you.

platform bed top.JPG

I just did a post for another member of the community the other day so I wanted to give you the link to check it out also. BlakeTheDiyGuy added to this post and recommended adding a rug gripper under the mattress so that it wouldn’t slip. I highly suggest it. They work really well. Click here to check it out.

I hope this has helped you on your quest to build a tall platform bed with storage.

It would be great to see the steps you took while making your bed so if you would post some pictures that would be great. I am looking forward to seeing your bed once you get it built.

If you have any other questions just let me know. I would love to help.

Posted 2011-08-26T20:47:17+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Thank you for the great idea I will use it for a base idea and slightly change it, since two of the boxes will be against the wall ill make them full enclosure with hinged tops of I can by pass getting another foot locker to slide inside them. I think ill use the good old bolt, washer and knut to keep all four pieces together. Will post pics as I go though and when the project is finished... may decide to really spice it up and add some diamond plating along the side after IM done

Posted 2011-08-27T03:44:19+0000  by Vermonster

Hello again Vermonster,

I can't wait to see the pictures of your bed. I love the idea of using hinges to access the back compartment.

I totally agree with the diamond plate also. That will really set it apart from any other bed.

Looking forward to your next post.

Be safe and have fun building your platform bed with a twist. :smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-08-31T17:09:12+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

hello i am going to attempt to make this frame ........... to attach the 2x4s to the 4x4s are you using screws or brackets.... do you need the 2 2x4s that run parallel with the 4x4s in the center can you give me more specific step by step directions would appreciate it thanks

Posted 2012-02-10T19:46:59+0000  by meheganwits72

Here's my version of shecandoit's Platform Box Bed. This is sized for a queen size mattress (80"x60"). All you'll need is a saw, drill, lumber and some screws (some to hold the 2x4s to the 4x4s and some to hold the plywood to the 2x4s).

Platform Box Bed.jpg

Each box would measure 40"x30" and whatever height you wanted. For starters, let's look at some material. A 2x4 is not 2 inches by 4 inches. It's real measurements are 1.5" x 3.5". A 4x4 isn't 4 inches by 4 inches, really it's 3.5" by 3.5". So now that we have a starting point for measurements, if you wanted the top of the platform to be 18" off the floor, you would have to subtract the height of the plywood, which was suggested to be 3/4", the height of the two pieces of 2x4, one at the top and one at the bottom, 3" from 18". This would give us a 4x4 that is 14-1/4" high. This would also be the height of the two 2x4 running vertically on each side of the box.

In my example, I notched the 2x4's for the top and bottom sides to allow my to run the cross member 2x4's on top of and under the 4x4's. I can screw them all into place without having to use any angle brackets. If you wanted to be able to slide something under the bed from one end of the box, you wouldn't want to notch the bottom 2x4's on that end.

Platform Box Bed2.jpg

Hope this gets you started. Let me know if you need more help.

Posted 2012-02-15T22:34:45+0000  by Paul

Thanks Paul.

This looks like exactly what they needed. It would have taken me a lot longer to get the same thing done.

You and your great Google Sketch up skills are hard at work again.

Great job Paul. :smileyhappy: 

Posted 2012-02-15T22:42:54+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+