Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Removing Built-in Shelf

Just bought a house with a built-in shelf in the living room. We'd like to remove it, but not sure exactly how to go about it. Hoping to keep the drywall and ceiling intact if we can. The sellers let us know that the flooring doesn't extend underneath it, but the ceiling (textured) does.

We haven't moved in yet, so the photo below is the best we have. What tools are needed to tackle this? Any tips to avoid drywall and ceiling damage?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-04-20T04:49:52+0000  by Taysty Taysty

Hello Taysty, and welcome to the Community!

To remove the shelving cabinet is not all that difficult, you just need a few tools and muscle to remove it. You just need a pry bar and hammer to get the job done. Using the hammer, hit the underside of each shelf to remove them. Once the shelves are removed you then hit the inside of the vertical side, start at the bottom, once you have loosen the side use the pry bar to pull off the vertical sides, do this slowly to avoid further damage to the ceiling  and/or floor. 

Once you have all of the built-in shelving removed, then you can make an assessment as to what must be done, take pictures and post them here for your next steps if you need more help. 

Angelo  

Posted 2017-04-20T12:40:00+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Hello Taysty,

I agree with Angelo if you have to demo it.

However, I would try to see if you could find any screws that are holding it in place. That way you may be able to just take the screws out and remove the unit. You will still need to remove the crown molding with the hammer and pry bar prior to moving the unit. They may have hidden the screws behind some of the shelves so you may still need to remove them to find the screws.

If you cannot find the screws then you will need to carefully break it apart to remove it.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Posted 2017-04-21T21:08:15+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+