Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Answered

Repaint our painted kitchen cabinets

Hi - 

We need to repaint our painted kitchen cabinets.  When we first bought our house we painted the cabinets, but did not do a very good job and now I want to repaint them.  We did not prep them properly the first time and we didn't use the right paint.  Here is how I plan to repaint them.

1. Rough sanding with medium grit sandpaper.

2. Repair with wood filler and then sand that down.

3. Sand again with a fine grit sandpaper.

4. Wipe clean.

5. Prime and then sand.

6. 2 coats of paint - sand between coats.

Do you think this is sufficient? I found some info that suggested also using a paint thinner on them and I really do not want to have to do that.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-22T16:19:03+0000  by saraejen saraejen

Saraejen,

How you proceed is somewhat determined by what type of paint you used originally. Was it an oil paint or latex?

Oil paints sand well and a certain amount of  roughness can be sanded out and chips feathered out. Latex paint has a somewhat soft, gummy film which merely clog up your sandpaper. If the old paint is latex, and you want a top notch job, you should consider stripping the cabinets, or at least the doors. The doors can at least be removed to another area where the mess of using chemical strippers is easier to deal with.

The roughness of the base cabinets can be lessened by use of a high build oil enamel undercoater. Followed by a good sanding with fine sandpaper, these high build undercoaters will fill in some of the texture.

Your finish coat can then be either an oil enamel or an acrylic enamel. There are pros and cons to both: oils dry to a hard, durable surface which can be more easily touched up. Its down side is the slow drying, smell and that they tend to yellow with age. Acrylics do not yellow. They dry rapidly with minimal smell. They are, however, a little harder to brush and get them to level out nicely. Critical when brushing is to work rapidly and not over brush. Acrylics only have a couple minutes before they start forming a skin. Brush rapidly and leave it alone to level itself! Use of a foam trim roller will help get the paint on evenly and rapdly, giving the paint maximum time to level out.

Hope this has been of some assistance

Best Answer

Posted 2013-07-22T17:53:42+0000  by ordjen
Correction - Do you think we need to use a paint stripper, not paint thinner?
Posted 2013-07-22T16:30:46+0000  by saraejen

I think you have a good handle on it.:smileyhappy:

Kitchen Planner

1. I would suggest that you clean the areas that collect oils from your hand (like the side that you grab to close the doors) and the tops with a de-greaser cleaner.
  2. Lightly sand all surfaces and wipe with a damp rag.
  3. Prime everything with a high quality primer - like Cover Satin or BIN's (this will provide a hard surface for the paint to adhere to).
  4. Now paint the top coat with a high quality semi-gloss paint like BEHR ULTRA.

Posted 2013-07-22T18:00:32+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Great advice! Thank you!!

Posted 2013-07-23T20:39:24+0000  by saraejen

Thank you!! :)

Posted 2013-07-23T20:40:08+0000  by saraejen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+