Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Repainting Cabinets

Hello! I have custom solid wood cabinets that I am looking to repaint. They are currently super shiny and I am assuming are varnished. Its definitely not just stained wood. I have a friend that used Gripper primer on her cabinets before painting but recently a store employee suggested using TSP. Iv'e looked into TSP a bit and it seems like a lot more work that can go south quickly. I am leaning towards the gripper primer but I don't want to ruin my cabinets or do double work. Which one should I go with?? Or is there an alternative solution I haven't come across? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-11-04T23:35:46+0000  by mrsmanz mrsmanz

Posted 2019-11-04T23:37:15+0000  by mrsmanz
Hi mrsmanz,

These are beautiful cabinets that appear to be in excellent shape. Have you considered updating them with new hardware? A different color and style of hardware can make a big difference.

If you decide to refinish them, I would use TSP to clean the cabinets and then use 400 grit sandpaper to remove the sheen prior to painting.  After sanding use a tack cloth to remove any residual sanding dust. Considering the excellent condition of the existing finish I don't think a primer is necessary.

For the best result I would use a HVLP spray gun to apply the new finish. Remove the doors and spray them while on a work table or bench, This will allow you to spray the interior of the cabinet bodies as well and help minimize drips and runs. Paint the inside of the doors first to get a feel of the paint and how it goes on.

If you decide to brush paint the cabinets, use a roller to apply the paint then use a damp brush to smooth it out, this method will make the job go faster and the result will be smoother with fewer brush marks. If your planning to change the hardware, drill the mounting holes before painting. This will allow you to fill in any misdrilled holes prior to painting. 

Good Luck with your project!

Mike

Posted 2019-11-05T00:26:48+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
The key to a good paint job and often the step that takes the longest, is good prep.  TSP is a cleaner and will probably remove the gloss but much of the product labeled as TSP today, doesn’t actually contain phosphates.

Personally I would clean the cabinets well, remove any gloss and rough up the surface slightly with sandpaper, remove any dust, and then use a good quality bonding primer.  Then two coats of a oil or waterborne alkyd paint.  Ordinary “wall” paint should not be used.

As Mike mentioned, if you are going to use new hardware, fill any holes as part of prep.
Posted 2019-11-05T11:13:39+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+