Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

Replace wooden closet rods

Hello,

The closets in my house have cyclindrical wooden rods.  There is a socket on each end of the closet for the rod to feed into as well as metal hooks which are meant to support them.  The rods have started to bow over time due to the weight of the clothes and need to be replaced.  I was wondering if I just took measurements of the rods (e.g. the diameter & length of each, would I be able to go to a lumber place and have them create new rods for me?  Would a lumber yard be able to re-create cylindrical rods like this (sanded and everything)?  I wouldn't want to have the rods made & then find out that they don't fit...  Any advice would be greatly appreciatd.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-04T15:48:46+0000  by brudog56 brudog56

Hey brudgo56,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Well you did come to the right place for this question, since your local Home Depot can get you the right replacement wooden closet rod!

Since you did the tough part already, the taking of measurements, you simply find the closest or correct diameter in our mouldings aisle.

We sell various round rods, and closet rods are usually around the 1-1/4" or 1-5/16" diameter size. As long as the size isn't over, but could be slightly smaller, then these size rods could work.

Closet Max 96 in. x 1-5/16 in. Heavy Duty Oak Closet Pole

Also, we sell these in linear feet, so you can get the correct length you need without having to buy too much.

Since the rods are already pre-sanded, you would only have to worry about the sanding once the edges are cut down, which may or may not be a factor.

So, simply take your measurements down to your local Home Depot. Then, a millworks associate can help you with the correct closet rod size!

Let us know if we can assist you further, and I hope this information has helped you.

Cheers,
Joseph

Posted 2013-05-04T17:57:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
A while back a heard a crash in my closet. Guess what, it was the wooden rod broken in half from the weight of the clothes. I made a quick measurement of the rod length - wall to wall, took the rod to work, asked my boss for a piece of gas iron pipe which HD sells, but we had it in stock at the office warehouse. (Funny, he already knew what my problem was as his wife had the same incident happen a week earlier) Voila!!! It is not the prettiest rod but, after 5 years of holding my clothes, no bending breaking or crashing. I now have gas pipe in all of my closets.
Posted 2013-05-06T23:18:33+0000  by Darcie

Hello,

I think this fourm doing good work because all answer are given by members are really heplful to me. I am impressed with all answers. I want to konw more about Warehouse Racking if anyone can help me.

Posted 2013-05-27T11:36:18+0000  by kimberlybrown

Hey Darcie,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

Using black (or silver) galvanzed pipe is actually a great idea for hanging clothes! One thing to be mindful of though, is to clean off the pipe of the grease that comes with it.

Hit it with a degreasing agent or cleaner, like Krud Kutter or Formula 409. If you don't you can the grease can ruin clothing very quickly.

2 in. x 10 ft. Black Steel Sch. 40 Pipe

Also, we do sell metal sturdy closet pole systems in our flooring department. Sold by the Closet Max brand, this is another option we carry as well...and it is shinier than the pipe counterpart.

72 in. x 1-5/16 in. Heavy Duty Chrome Closet Pole

As with any system, make sure you install it directly into the studs or frames in your wall to ensure it will work properly.

Just another option to consider when it comes to getting your closet back up and running!

Thanks again for your input and great idea!

Cheers,
Joseph

Posted 2013-06-01T18:27:36+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey kimberlybrown,

Thank you for liking our forums, we try to get you the best answer for whatever project you have!

Judging by your link, I'm not sure exactly what you wanted to know about this kind of racking. We do carry some racking at our store instock.

60 in. W x 66 in. H x 18 in. D Steel Commercial Shelving

What particular question did you have regarding warehouse racking?

Let us know and we can get you the solution.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-01T18:38:01+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi Joseph,

Never too late to say thanks for the cleaning tip.  You guys are the absolute best on DIY.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Posted 2013-07-18T02:25:51+0000  by Darcie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+