Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Replacing Hampton Bay Remote Controlled Ceiling Fan with different light fixture

I decided to remove the Hampton Bay Remote Controlled Ceiling Fan that was installed by previous homeowner. It was powered only by the remote control. The wall switch never controlled the ceiling fan. I replaced the fan with a small chandelier since this will now be a baby nursery. I hooked up the chandelier and realized that the light switch will not control the chandelier. It appears that the ceiling outlet has power all the time. Can someone tell me how to make it so that the wall switch controls the ceiling light? The ceiling outlet has a black, white and ground wire. The wall light switch has a red wire connected to the top & black connected to the bottom. The black wire is connected to 3 wall black wires with a cap and the white wires are capped off and not connected to the switch at all. One electrical wall outlet has a matching red wire, which allows me to have a lamp plugged in and the switch controls that power. Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-13T20:27:44+0000  by rz74977 rz74977

Hello rz74977 and welcome to the Community.

I can help you with this issue you are having. 

Turn the power off first at the Circuit Breaker Panel.

In your Switch box you need to disconnect the RED wire from the switch and put it to the side, then remove the wirenut off all the BLACK wires that are tied together. 

Separate the BLACK wires.......Now you need to figure out which one of these BLACK wires goes to your new Chandelier.

When you figure this out, attach this BLACK wire to your switch where you removed the RED one from.

Now take the leftover RED wire that you removed in the beginning and attach it to all the BLACK wires that were tied together before and re-secure the wirenut.

Now your new Chandelier should work with the switch and the receptacle should stay hot all the time.

I hope this helps you.

Posted 2012-03-14T14:31:16+0000  by AAriondo

Thank you so much for the response. I will give this a try.

I did try to connect all 3 black wires to the top switch at seperate times, but I connected the the red switch wire to the bottom of the switch. I also switched the floor outlet wiring that had the red wire on top to the bottom and put the black on top.

After doing this and turning circuit back on 3 times none of the 3 black wires allowed me to turn the ceiling chandelier on/off. Could it be because I did not connect the red to the remaining black wires? Is it possible that the ceiling power is seperate from the switch all together? I ask this because I did talk to an electrician on the phone and he seemed to think that the switch is not connected to the ceiling power and he would have to go up into the attic and connect the ceiling power to the switch. I was hoping to avoid using an electrician because of the extra expense, but if it is something that extensive I might have to.

Posted 2012-03-14T15:49:50+0000  by rz74977

In any house when you go into a bedroom there has to be a way to turn on a light, weather it be from a switched lamp( like your outlet was ) or a ceiling fixture.

Your ceiling fixture was direct wired so it worked off a remote only or a pull chain.

As long as you can figure out which wire in your switch box goes to the ceiling fixture we can make it work.

And if by some strange reason the wire from your Chandelier does not go down to your switch we have another issue all together and we will work on that if its the case.

Please let me know if it works

I will be online until 5:15 EST today

Anthony

Posted 2012-03-14T16:45:10+0000  by AAriondo

Hi Anthony,

I tried connecting all 3 black wires to the top of the switch and seperate times and connected the remaining black wires with the red - None of the 3 black wires controlled the switch that would allow me to turn the ceiling chandelier on/off. I did also notice in order to disconnect power to that ceiling fixture I have to turn a switch off in the circuit breaker that controls  our alarm clock in our master bedroom next door. It seems that the ceiling has direct power that is not at all connected to the main light switch:( Big bummer. Do you think that is what is going on?

Posted 2012-03-15T18:21:53+0000  by rz74977
If you did put all 3 black wires together then the ceiling fixture would have come on if one of those wires went up to it but since it didnt then it seems like someone fed it directly from one of your receptacles.
If that is the case you will need to either feed a wire from the ceiling to the switch or use a remote to turn it on.

Let me know what you want to do and I can walk you through it.
Posted 2012-03-16T10:44:11+0000  by AAriondo

Yes- Would you please walk me through how to connect the ceiling power to my wall switch? Thank you

Posted 2012-03-20T14:53:50+0000  by rz74977

OK, I would be glad to but first please take a picture of the wires in the ceiling box and the wires in the switch box so I can physically see them. Then we can go from there and maybe contact each other by phone to make it a little easier.

Posted 2012-03-21T13:44:17+0000  by AAriondo

Here are the pics of the ceiling box and the wall switch. I have a close up of the switch wires if you want me to attach in another message. We will be able to reach the ceiling directed power by going up into the attic. You can reach me on my cell phone at (206)227-8997. Thank you so much, Renee Seger

Posted 2012-03-23T18:22:15+0000  by rz74977

Close up of Light switch box

Posted 2012-03-23T18:26:11+0000  by rz74977
Hello rz74977, I will contact you first thing in the morning.. I will be in the office we will see if we can do something by phone to make it easier for you
Posted 2012-03-27T16:10:38+0000  by AAriondo
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+