Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Answered

Replacing Intermatic Wall switch timer with Defiant Daylight Adjusting Digital Timer

Yesterday I bought Defiant Daylight Adjusting Digital Timer  to replace Intermatic wall switch timer. I thought it was going to be easy to do job, but when I unpackaged it I found that Defiant Daylight Adjusting Digital Timer has five wires (black, white, green, blue, red),  intermatic timer has two black wires and three wires (black, white, green) from breaker. I connected it and caped the red wire. It displayed time on the timer, I programmed it following the instruction, but the light is not coming. I do not know if there is something I am missing. 

I will appreciate your advise.

Tobby

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-22T01:16:47+0000  by Tobby Tobby

Because you capped the red wire, I'm assuming this isn't a 3-way switch.

Screen shot 2013-12-21 at 7.25.05 PM.png

The black wire coming out of the timer should go wire the supplies power [line side] (or as you said "from the breaker").  The blue goes to the wire that feeds the light [load side].  If you're not 100% sure of that, try reversing them.  Obviously, white to white (there should be three), and green to ground.

If that doesn't work, what kind of lamp are you using in the fixture?  If it's anything but an ordinary incandescent bulb, replace it with one and try the timer.  If that doesn't work, return the timer for replacement.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-12-22T01:30:08+0000  by Adam444

I solve the problme. The three bulbs blew out. My wife reminded me of the bulb and when I replaced them the lights were on. Thanks for anyone who might have been researching on this issue. 

Posted 2013-12-22T01:50:11+0000  by Tobby

Thank you for this straing forward wiring instruction. I did the wiring right, but the bulbs were all out and I thought there was something wrong with the wiring. Now the lights are on and see if I did program it well for lights on and off.

Posted 2013-12-22T01:55:42+0000  by Tobby

That's too funny.  I hate when that happens, especially when the wife is watching!

I almost added "known good" bulb to my message but didn't want to insult you...

Posted 2013-12-22T02:40:05+0000  by Adam444

I am also having similar problem with Defiant DaylightAdjusting Digital Timer in trying to replace an existing single pole regular on/off switch. This switch was wired with just 2 black wires to it's terminals. The wall receptacle had 2 white wires joined to each other wirh a wire nut and a bare ground wire which was not connected to anything.  I first tried connecting the black wires to the blacl&whites of the timer and then reversed the connections. Both times the program info displayed but the light would not operate. I then tried the same thing but connecting the timer blue first to the black&white on the timer and again to the black& black. On trying to manually turn on the light with the first connection the light flashed for a second when I pushed the on button but when I transferred the blue wire to the other black it just flipped the breaker. The light bulb is a spiral cfl.

Posted 2014-01-01T22:34:34+0000  by paulh

You lost me when you went from the switch to the wall receptacle.  Are you saying this is a switch that controls a receptacle?  Or perhaps when you said wall receptacle, you meant junction box?

If the latter, then you need to figure out which black wire brings power into the box and which black wire feeds the light.  Once you're done that,  the wire that brings power into the box is connected to the black wire of the dimmer.  The blue wire of the dimmer is connected to the black wire that feeds the light.  The white wire of the dimmer is connected under a wire to the two white wires, and the green wire goes to the bare ground wire (use a wire nut).  If the junction box is metal, then the bare ground wire should also be attached to that with a screw.

Posted 2014-01-02T01:38:02+0000  by Adam444
I had a little trouble getting this switch to work. I had to swap the red traveler lead, with the blue load lead to get it to work. I don't understand why.

The switch box in question has two switches in it; each goes to a different breaker. Could this be part of the problem?
Posted 2014-12-26T17:00:54+0000  by ET160

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+