Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replacing Neo-angle shower doors....JUST the doors.

Hi All,

I've gone 'round and 'round trying to find the answers.  I have a neo-angle shower and the base is in perfectly good condition and does not need to be replaced, the doors on the other hand do.  Here we go:

1) I want to replace just the doors (two side panels + door; whole kit and kaboodle e.g. glass and metal frame) - is this possible?

2) If Yes to #1, how do I measure just for the doors?  When I look online for options I'm not sure what the measurements represent and if it's just for the doors or for the base+doors.  HELP!!

Let's start there!

Thanks for any and all help you guys can provide me!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-31T18:39:46+0000  by IcanPaint IcanPaint

Hi there IcanPaint and welcome to the community!

Can you replace just the doors really depends who the manufacturer of the shower kit is and if they have replacement options available.

Do you know who the manufacturer is?

If it is one our vendors I can try reaching out to them with your question.

George

Posted 2011-01-31T19:37:53+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I have no idea, the previous owners had it installed (or it was the original owners).

Posted 2011-01-31T19:50:19+0000  by IcanPaint

Hey there IcanPaint, I'm Blake from the California office, and I just finished my own struggle with a custom sized neo-angle shower in my house, so I can sympathize. 

When you are looking at neo-angle doors you will generally want to find a spec sheet which will give you a diagram like this:

shower door.JPG

The measurements are usually taken from the center line of the threshold (so there is a little bit of wiggle room), but it is always best to find a schematic from the manufacturer of the door that you are looking at. If you are browsing HomeDepot.com these are usually available under the "More Info" tab in PDF form. Or if you have a link to a model that you are looking at, I can see if I can hunt down a schematic for you. 

Having struggled to find a replacement for my custom made neo-angle door for some time, I decided that I would just refurbish the one I had. I completely dissembled the enclosure, cleaned all of the components, removed the old destroyed frame-seals and replaced them with a very thick inner bead of 100% silicone caulk. This would probably work for you as well, as long as the door is not physically broken (shattered glass, rusty metal ect). 

I hope this helps IcanPaint, I wish you luck with your shower door if you have any other questions please let George and I know, we are here to help!

-Blake

Posted 2011-01-31T20:22:33+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake,

Thank you very much!  We may be getting somewhere now.  When I visited my local HD they had told me to measure the doors only, from metal frame to metal frame.  The sizes on the diagram are pretty close to my sizes, with the exception of the height (my doors measure roughly 68", bottom to top of door only).

The measurements below for A, B, C - are those for the base or are those for the door "bits" only?  Also, D, is that the door only (looks like it)?

Posted 2011-01-31T20:52:53+0000  by IcanPaint

Hey again IcanPaint, I'm glad to hear that we are making progress! especially as it appears you may have a commonly sized door (I'll try and avoid saying the word 'standard'). ABC and D are overall measurements of the entire door and frame (I believe). The diagram to the right shows that the door is 1 9/16" shorter on top and the bottom. Which would lead us to believe the door alone is 68 7/8" tall. 

Keep in mind that with most neo-angle enclosures do not have interchangeable parts and that you will most likely need to replace the entire door unit, not just individual panes. 

-Blake

Posted 2011-01-31T21:35:56+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hey IcanPaint, I wanted to give you a quick update here. I just got off the phone with Sterling customer support, they were able to confirm for me that the total unit height is 72 inches but that the door is 68-7/8 inches (not including the hinge pins). 

Here is a link to the door that the schematic refers to: Shower Door

I this helps IcanPaint, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Posted 2011-01-31T22:08:19+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake,

Thank you so much for your help here!  I think we are very close here.  

My measurements for the doors (including metal frame) are approx. 15 3/4 x 27 x 15 3/4, 68 1/2 height and 37 in width of base.  With that said, do the measurements you've referenced in your posts have a little "give"  to them, meaning, do I need exact sizes or if I'm a few cm's off it shouldn't make much of a difference?  (I'm not a super technical hand man so forgive me if this is a dumb question).

Posted 2011-02-01T04:18:12+0000  by IcanPaint

Blake - Just wanted to let you know I measured the height of the "total unit" - e.g. bottom of base at the bathroom floor to the top of the metal frame.....72 inches on the spot!  

If you could reply to the question above to "set me straight" I think I may be on my way!

Posted 2011-02-01T16:32:49+0000  by IcanPaint

Hey IcanPaint welcome back!

I just talked to Andrea at Kohler-Sterling customer support center in regards to your corner shower door.

They said there is no "give" with their corner units and that their replacement units need to match center line dimensions.

Being that your measurements are very close to theirs my suggestion to you would be to make a template that matches their unit layout and dimensions.

Simply replicate the frame and opening dimensions on the old cardboard box, cut the excess and try on the spot.

Hope that helps and keep us updated.

George

Posted 2011-02-01T17:19:45+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hello again IcanPaint, I think you may be in business with this shower door. It is off my a fraction of an inch in both the side walls and the door, whether this will work or not depends more on your enclosure than your door. Most neo angle shower enclosures feature a threshold that the door sits on. The shower door does not have to sit exactly on the center of the threshold although that is how they are designed to work. 

I highly recommend you take some time with a measuring tape and see if the dimensions of this door will work. SteelToes' Idea to mock up the sterling door with cardboard is a good idea as well. If your threshold is as large as mine is the door we are looking at will probably work just fine. 

My shower halfway through the project:

neohkfinal.JPG

I hope this helped IcanPaint.

Let me know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Posted 2011-02-02T19:48:23+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+