Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Replacing baseboards

Hi

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-01T19:41:26+0000  by cmjohn cmjohn

Hello cmjohn,

I am guessing that you are wondering how to replace your base molding. First you have to remove all of your existing base molding. If the molding has been painted in place it is a good idea to take a utility knife and cut along the top making sure to go thru all layers of paint. Then you can use a small pry bar with a scrap piece of wood between it and the wall so that the wall doesn’t get damaged while removing the molding. Then you are ready to measure how many feet of molding you are going to need. Make sure that you add enough to compensate for all of the outside corners. For each outside corner you need to add double the thickness of the molding. I always add a little more just in case I mess up on the miter cut. That means that if the molding is ½” thick I would add an additional 1 1/2”- 2” for every outside corner. Once you have all of your molding I prefer to paint all of it prior to installing it. It is a lot easier to paint standing up rather than standing on your head. Then you are ready to get all of your tools together. Here is a video to let you know all of the tools you’ll need and how to complete the install.

Click here to see a video on how to install the base molding.

I hope this answers all of your questions. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted 2010-12-01T23:45:41+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Do you replace the baseboard before or after you replace the carpet?

Posted 2011-01-30T04:36:54+0000  by Cindybojam

Hello Cindybojam,

Sorry for the late response.

Welcome to the Community.

There are 3 common way to install new baseboards.

1. Install them flush to the subfloor prior to the carpet install. This will result in a tight fit to the carpet as long as the tack strip is close enough to the baseboard. This method may result in scuff marks on the new baseboards.

2. Install them prior to the carpet 3/8"-1/2" above the subfloor. The height should be the thickness of the carpet and padding that is going to be installed. If the height is done correctly the carpet should tuck right under the baseboard and will result in a very professional look. This method may also result in scuff marks on the new baseboards.

3. Install them after the carpet has been installed. I prefer this method. It will not be damaged by the installers and it always looks professional. The carpet installers don't like this way due to the fact that the carpet gets sandwiched in between the baseboards and the tack strips so if they have to come out and restretch the carpet they have to remove some of the baseboards. Some damage can occur when they do this.

As you can see it's doesn't really matter either way. I prefer installing them after so they don't get messed up. I prepaint all of them prior to installing them so I don't take the chance of getting paint on the new carpet after it's installed.

I hope this has helped you out with the age old question. Which came first?? Carpet or Baseboards. :smileywink:

Let us know if you have any other questions. Again welcome to the community. 

Posted 2011-03-09T18:34:37+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

How do you measure for baseboards?

Posted 2011-10-18T18:11:56+0000  by becakr22

Hello bacakr22,

Welcome to the community.

To measure for baseboard all you have to do is measure the length of each wall, add them all together and then add 10%. The extra 10% will allow for all of the miter cuts and if you have a couple of mis-cuts.

It’s as easy as that.:smileywink:

Here is a link to give you the basics on how to install your base molding.

This should get you on the right track to installing your base molding.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2011-10-19T18:10:58+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

What is the best way to remove and replace quarter-round molding?  What tools are needed?

Thanks

Posted 2011-10-24T13:19:08+0000  by grcrunner

Hello grcrunner,

Thanks for your question, welcome to the community!

Removing and replacing quarter-round moulding can be done with relative ease, and if you careful, you can reuse your quarter-round pieces for future use!

In the picture below, I have broken down the key steps you'll need to ensure the secure removal of the quarter round.

removing quarter round.JPG

Now, you can use your new moulding, and if you were careful in pulling out the nails, you can reuse them if you like.

In terms of getting new molding up, you can either hammer or a air-powered nailer to drive them in. Typically 18 gauge finish nails are used when fastening molding to the wall. I usually place the nails around 18" to 24" apart to make sure they are secure on the wall. Always nail into the wall and never down into the direction of the floor. We do rent out these nailers if buying one isn't an option for you, so as to get the job done right on time and under budget.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-10-24T17:54:07+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+