Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Replacing over-the-range microwave

Hi everyone,

I have an old over-the-range GE microwave that just died. It's from 1986 and I cannot find a replacement the same size. Everything similar is at least a few inches taller and deeper.  My current unit is 30" wide, 14 3/4" tall, and 14" deep. The microwave is not vented to the outside, it just recirculates the air inside the unit.

So I have two questions:
First, any advice on how to find a replacement of the same size?

If I can't find a replacement, is it ok to take a regular microwave (not vented) and mount it over the range? Since the current unit doesn't even vent to the outside, it doesn't seem like it would be much of a difference, but I'm wondering if it's considered a bad idea, or against regulations, or something like that.

Thanks for any advice.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-02-18T18:39:27+0000  by goldbren goldbren

Most (maybe all) over-the-range (OTR) microwaves can either vent to the outside or recirculate the air.  As for size, modern OTR microwaves may be slightly larger than your existing unit but it shouldn't be a problem as all are designed to fit in the same space.  The only issue may be height if you happen to have a unusually tall cabinet over your range.  Measure from the top of your range to the bottom of the microwave, 13" to 16" is the norm.

Because electronics and heat don't mix, you probably want to avoid using a regular above the range.  OTR microwaves are designed to handle the higher heat.
Posted 2019-02-19T12:06:43+0000  by Adam444
Hi goldbern,

Whirlpool make a compact microwave which will work just fine with your current setup. It measures
29.88 inches wide, 10.31 inches high and 18 inches deep. It's a little deeper than your current microwave but it does not have a handle. Like most over the range microwaves it can be vented in 
recirculation mode or external vent mode. It's model WML55011HS, and its available at Homedepot.com or your local Home Depot Store. Click on the model number above for more into.

Mike
Posted 2019-02-19T19:58:55+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+