Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Answered

Replacing toilet flush valve

Hello!  I am trying to replace the flush valve in my toilet.  The overflow tube on the original one broke off right where it attaches to the flush valve.  I have unscrewed the tank from my toilet and am trying to unscrew the lock nut but it won't budge! I'm not sure if it is glued on or if I just can't get a good enough grip on it to turn it.  Does anyone have any advice to help me take that dang thing off? Or can I just cut it off or glue part of the overflow tube back on? I really don't want to have to purchase a brand new tank, so that will be the last resort.  Thanks for your help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-13T01:47:17+0000  by Mel_V Mel_V

Hello Mel and welcome to the How to Community.

Mel did you manage to take it off yet? 

If not, pick up one of these hex wrenches at your local store. These have an extra wide multi sided jaw that will fit around that nut on the bottom of the tank.

hex wrench.jpg

You may need to hold it at the same time on the other (tank) side with another pair of pliers. If it still won’t budge - cut it off. Use one of these folding hand saws  that will fit inside the nut.Also cut it in two or three spots around the inside diameter of the nut so that it can be taken out.

saw.jpg

I would take it off and replace it with new one if possible ....glue doesn’t tend to hold up when submerged in water.

Hope this helps,

George

Best Answer

Posted 2012-08-13T15:48:31+0000  by George_HD_CHI

SteelToes, thank you for your response!

I still had not been able to get the nut off.  I was hesitant to buy a tool that I will, more than likely, only use once.  So I ended up cutting it off.  I made 3 cuts, about half an inch apart, vertically along the nut/pipe.  Once I did that, I gently hit one of the sections until the nut came loose and the rest of it pretty much fell apart in my hands.  When I put the replacement in, I just used a pipe wrench to tighten it and that worked fine.  The replacement nut was shaped differently than the original one so I was able to use the wrench without any problem.

Thanks for your help!!

Posted 2012-08-13T21:16:58+0000  by Mel_V

You're most welcome Mel.

I’m glad to have been of help and that tank is still all in one piece-functional :smileyhappy:

If there is anything else myself or any of us on here can help you with in the future, please feel free to ask.

George

Posted 2012-08-14T13:51:00+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hi, I replaced my old flush valve with a new one that had been recommended by American Standard and bought from Home Depot. It doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Rich

Posted 2013-01-07T20:07:37+0000  by richardtully

Hi Rich,

What is the exact problem you're having with it?

If it won’t stop filling the tank you may need to adjust the water "fill" level. There’s a screw like adjustment rod next to the valve that can be adjusted by turning the dial in clockwise + or counterclockwise - direction.

George

Posted 2013-01-08T19:08:27+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+