Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Answered

Replacing towel hanger

What do I need to do to replace a towel hanger that fell out of the wall?

Zoom-in

Let's assume that I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Thanks in advance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-05T17:37:42+0000  by jugghayd jugghayd

If you want it to be really secure than I would find a stud to screw into and then the other side I would use a drywall  anchor or even stronger a toggle bolt.

It's never a good idea to screw directly into the drywall without an anchor of some sort. Especially if what you are hanging has any weight to it. The screw will pull right out.:smileymad:

I think you just about got it now.. Let me know how it turns out.

Great questions. Keep um coming.:smileyhappy:

Best Answer

Posted 2013-06-28T19:25:19+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Posted 2013-06-05T18:13:02+0000  by jugghayd

IMG_1049.JPGIMG_1048.JPG

Posted 2013-06-05T18:14:46+0000  by jugghayd

Hello again Jugghayd,

If you are going to reinstall the towel hook in the same place it would be best if you replaced a small section of the drywall. If you were to only patch the holes when you drilled the new holes for the anchors the patch would either fall out or not hold properly. There is a link above to a project guild on how to repair drywall in the same manner that I have suggested.

I would cut a small piece of wood to fit into the hole and be long enough to fit approximately 3 inches above and below the hole. Secure it with screws. This will give you something to attach the new piece of drywall to and also give you a solid area to screw into when you attach the towel hook.

Obviously the hole will be smaller in your situation but I just wanted to let you know what it would look like.

Drywall repair.jpg

The only other way would be to use toggle bolts that are large enough to reach beyond the holes. This will only work if the surrounding area is still sturdy. Use the existing holes and insert the toggle bolts far enough so that they open all the way and then tighten the screw to hold it tight. You may need to get longer screws.

toggle bolt.jpg

** Make sure that the screws are already through the towel hook. Once you push the toggle bolt through the hole it will not be able to be removed again. **

The toggle bolts are only to be used if the surrounding area is secure. If it is not they could cause additional damage and make the hole even bigger.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

PS: How did the TV mount turn out? Did you have any problems getting it installed on your block wall?

Posted 2013-06-05T21:21:21+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Christine, thanks for your input. 

I've tried patching a hole in the wall before and it looks almost as bad as the hole itself.  This was from a hole made by a doorknob.

IMAG0953.jpg

Can you tell from that picture where I went wrong?

As for the TV wall rack, I don't want to try it until I have somebody around who can let me know when I'm doing something wrong.

Posted 2013-06-06T16:53:06+0000  by jugghayd

It looks like you didn't apply enough compound. You shouldn't be able to see the patching material. I can clearly see the tape/patch all the way around. 

It's a lot easier to make it smooth with a wider putty knife. I prefer a 6"- 8" putty knife on small patches and 10" on larger patches or taping joints. That way it's easier to feather the edges in order to cover the tape and have less sanding.

Feathering is the art of thinning out the compound the further away from the seam you go. Feathering each layer further and further out creates a very gradual rise centered at the seam that is very difficult to see.

It will take some trial and error for you to master the technique of mudding drywall joints but once you get it it's really easy.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to break it down even further.   

Posted 2013-06-07T20:31:57+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I told my wife what I needed to do.  She gave me a nice vote of confidence:  "Nah, you're not gonna do that."

Another option:  could we take out the other towel hook and put in a horizontal rack that would go across the two holes with 4 hooks instead of two?

Posted 2013-06-10T13:36:33+0000  by jugghayd

That's funny. :smileyindifferent:

Yes that would work also. It would make things easier if you just covered it up. :smileywink:

Here is one that I found online that would work out really well for you.

4 Towel Hook.jpg

Just make sure to use drywall anchores if you don't hit a stud when you attach it to the wall.

Thanks again for all of the feed back. Let me know how it turns out.

Posted 2013-06-12T17:37:43+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

That looks good.  I'll run over to the store tomorrow and see if there are any other styles we like.

Posted 2013-06-14T19:32:59+0000  by jugghayd

Sounds great.

Let me know how it turns out.

Post a picture of the finished project. I would love to see what you went with.

Posted 2013-06-14T20:05:23+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+