Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Ridgid Lifetime Warranty on 12v Cordless Drill

How do you get the batteries covered under the Lifetime Warranty.

I bought the drill kit from Home Depot in 2005. Yes a long time ago. Only used it around the house and it looks like new. However, both batteries are dead and will not charge at all. When I bought the drill I filled out the Lifetime Warranty Card and attached the original receipt and UPC code as required. I received an email confirmation that listed all the items in the combo kit and a registration number.

I called Ridgid and they looked it up and stated they found my account but I never sent in the receipt.

I advised that I had email proof they received the registration. They wanted a copy which I sent. Now, they claim this must be something else and not when a Lifetime Warranty Registration. I explained that I sent one registration in with the original receipt, Lifetime Registration Card, and UPC code. Ridgid sent me back a list of all the items in the drill kit and set me up a email box and thanked me for registering and my purchase.

I don't care about the $40 battery. It just makes me mad that they treat customers like this. Ridgid knows I bought the tool from Home Depot and I even sent them a picture of the combo kit. They know they had the receipt and the Lifetime Registration form or they wouldn't know what I bought. My customer number is 000768856 if it matters.

Anyone else had this problem, Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-09-06T17:12:31+0000  by Terry0327 Terry0327

Hello Terry0327 and welcome to the Community.

I would suggest you take a copy of that confirmation email to your local Home Depot.  Speak with a manager and explain what happened.  I believe they will take care of you.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Charlotte

Posted 2018-09-06T18:09:36+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Terry,

Even if you talk to the local store manager, I wonder if any Home Deot has an old 12v Ni-Cad battery in stock.  Maybe they can order you one?

You aren't the only one reporting that Ridgid makes customers jump through hoops to get a replacement battery.  I kind of get it from their point of view, they want to make sure YOU bought the drill and didn't get stolen or sold at yard sale for $5.  Years back I worked for Sears Hardware and we'd have guys come in with 30 beat up, rusted screw drivers than they probably picked up at yard sales for a few dollars and would want a new ones under the "lifetime" replacement warranty.  Landscape contractors would do the same thing.  Pull up in a commercial vehicle and tell us that the 6 rakes and 4 shovels were for their personal use (the commercial warranty was only 30 days).  Uh huh.

As an aside, Ridgid power tools are made by TTI out of Hong Kong.  They also make Milwaukee, Ryobi, Empire levels a lot of private label stuff like Craftsman, Hoover, Oreck, and Dirt Devil vacuums, and Homelite outdoor products.  They also sell AEG power tools in the rest of the world that look a whole lot like Ridgid, even the orange and black color scheme.

Posted 2018-09-06T22:08:18+0000  by Adam444
Hi Terry0327,

Unfortunately the batteries for your tool are no longer available from Rigid or the Home Depot, as 13 years have past and product development marches on. As Char mentioned above, take your information and tool kit to your local Home Depot. I am sure the store manager will be able to work out a solution for you.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man
Posted 2018-09-07T00:06:41+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
I was kind of wondering about the availability of a battery that old.  They're certainly out there but I have to wonder what that kind of age does to Ni-Cad cells, even unused ones.

On the bright side, the new lithium tools are wonderful and so much lighter than their Ni-Cad brethren.  A few years back I bought a Milwaukee M12 Fuel (that's the brushless motor) impact driver and I can't say a bad thing about it.  Light, compact, two power settings, and it's handed easily handled everything I've asked it to do, including 3 1/2" deck screws, lag screws, etc.  The new version now has 3 power settings, a bit more torque, and is even slightly smaller.  My only regret is that I didn't buy the drill at the same time because they would have come with a case that held both tools.

Bosch also has a nice little 12v drill/impact set that you can find for about $130.  It's a nice little set too, but not quite as powerful as the Milwaukee.
Posted 2018-09-08T23:44:21+0000  by Adam444
Thanks for the replies. I have already bought another drill and was going to give the Ridgid to my Grandson,  I will never trust Ridgid again. Just say we don't make that battery any longer. Don't make up things that you have no idea is correct.
Posted 2018-09-09T00:13:23+0000  by Terry0327
Hi Terry0327,

I don't think anyone made up anything, tool manufacturers issues warranties in good faith, however time marches on and tools and batteries are replaced with newer more technologically advanced versions. If we did not allow progress, we all would still be riding horses.

Ridgid is a good brand and we have had very good luck with the product, their expectations for warranty claims are for 3-5 years from the original sale. During that time span replacement parts are available. After that models change and technology advances making previous designs obsolete.

Mike
Posted 2018-09-10T18:53:38+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Mike, when they say they did not receive my receipt that was made up. They know I sent the receipt because it was with the Lifetime Warranty Card and they sent me back an email listing every item in the Drill Case and thanked me for buying and registering the drill. This was all I sent in to register the drill. Maybe they can't find the receipt but they received it.

Ridgid made the promotion that batteries would be replaced for life, not the customer. Since when is a Lifetime Guarantee for 3 to 5 years. There are many Ridgid customers with the same complaint as mine.

Posted 2018-09-10T21:13:36+0000  by Terry0327
HD Mike,

I'm with Terry on this one, if someone is going to offer a "lifetime warranty" without qualifying what "lifetime" they mean, then interpretation is open to the purchaser.  I don't think the average consumer, when they read the sign in Home Depot, thinks that "lifetime" means 3-5 years.  Terry certainly isn't the only one we've seen here trying to TTI to honor that lifetime guarantee.

Posted 2018-09-10T22:47:06+0000  by Adam444
Hi TerryO327 and Adam444,

Woo, don't get me wrong, I am not defending Ridgid, I an just stating what the manufacturers expectations are and the provisions they create for warranty claims. The typical life expectancy of a cordless drill battery combo is 3-5 years. After that time period most consumers have lost, sold or given away the tool and moved on.

In the industry a lifetime warranty in defined as the lifetime of the tool, not the lifetime of the owner. Most manufacturers estimate 3-5 years as the expected lifetime of a cordless power tool in regular daily use.

Manufacturers keep warranty records for a certain period of time and then purge their files. After 10 years most warranty records are discarded as the number of claims have trickled down to zero. I don't think any manufacturer will have any warranty records older then 10 years and certainly not 13 years.

So when you say they made it up, I think that is a bit harsh as the current staff simply no longer has the records to support your claim.

Unfortunately the bottom line is the batteries are no longer available and they could not supply you a new one even if they wanted to.

Mike

Posted 2018-09-10T23:53:54+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Mike,

I understand you're just the guy in the aisle and don't have any influence on what signs Home Depot hangs.  If the sign says "lifetime warranty" without qualification but it's significantly less than what more people would consider a "lifetime" that's just disingenuous on the part of TTI and Home Depot (corporate).

Interestingly in Australia where Ridgid tools are marketed under the AEG name, the "best warranty in the business" is 6 years on the tool and 3 years on the batteries.  I guess lifetimes are a little shorter down under, must be the crocs. <lol>
Posted 2018-09-11T01:00:10+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+