Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Sad looking Peace Lily

I had my spath in a regular pot and added extra water just before traveling.  Since then it has looked pretty sad.  Drooping; flowers have died.  Initially, I thought it was underwatered, and added more.  Now I realize it was overwatered.  I though it could be root rot, so I replanted it.  Though, I feel the root system looks relatively healthy.  
I was curious for other opinions.  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-11-11T18:47:31+0000  by kdog kdog

Posted 2017-11-11T18:52:07+0000  by kdog

Posted 2017-11-11T18:52:40+0000  by kdog

Hi kdog,

Welcome to The Community!!

Your spathiphyllum appears to be healthy. Spaths require more water than many other tropical plants, so it is unlikely that your plant is receiving too much water. I have seen these plants growing in soil-less water!

Tropical plants prefer their roots to be snug in their pots. Spaths are no exception. The plant will perform best when their roots are in contact with the wall of their container. Keep the pot snug around the roots.

The plant will divert its energy into root growth if the pot is too large. This can cause leaf droop and lack of bloom. Re-pot the plant when the roots start to grow around the pot, or up and out of the container.

Place this plant into a pot that is about two inches smaller than the pot that it is in now. This will push the energy back into the leaves and blooms.

Thank you for asking, we're glad that you 're here!

-Travis

Posted 2017-11-14T13:58:38+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+