Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Sheet Laminate

I have a painted flat surface (counter top). Can sheet laminate be used on top? What's used to cut sheet laminate? What's used to adhere it to a painted surface?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-10-19T20:59:05+0000  by Racheal Racheal

What is under that paint? 

Typically a small (trim) router is used to cut laminate flush with edges of countertop.
Posted 2015-10-19T21:11:10+0000  by Adam444

Hello Racheal and welcome to the Community.

As Adam444 stated a small router is used to cut laminate after it has been applied.

Contact cement is use to install laminate to smooth clean particaI board.  I fear you may have a problem applying laminate over a painted surface.  The contact cement may break down the paint, causing it to bubble or deteriorate.  As a result the compromise the adhesion of the laminate.

Try applying contact cement to a small inconspicuous spot to see how it reacts. If you choose to attempt this, you may want to try to strip the paint first.  Laminate manufactures may not warranty this application.

Formica one of the suppliers of laminate to the Home Depot, has an excellent web site that can provide a great deal of information about laminate and how they are applied along with many videos.

If you are interested replacing the complete counter top, each Home Depot employs a very knownlegible Kitchen design staff that would be more than happy to assist you.  Click here for the In-store Appointment Maker.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-10-20T13:22:47+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Char is exactly right Racheal!

Contact cement creates strong adhesion, but a weak substrate will let go even if the adhesive bonds well to the Formica.

I am not a big fan of stripping agents ... the residue creates many problems for other products.

However, I could really understand using an 80-grit sandpaper to scuff the painted surface and promote adhesion.

Give it a try and let us know how it works.
Posted 2015-10-27T20:32:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+