Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Should I seal my tile? granite marble

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-22T04:25:17+0000  by pv123 pv123

Hey pv123.

It is always a good idea to seal your grout. This helps prevent staining as well as helping prevent water damage. 

There are 2 types of sealers you can use. There is the penetrating sealers which I recommend, that absorb into the grout and tile which allowing it to breath and lasts longer. There is the other type of sealer which forms a membrane on top of the surface which does not have the longevity of the other.

On dry surfaces you can get 2 or 3 years out of a penetrating sealer but in showers or other wet or damp areas, it might be a good idea to do it once a year.

Posted 2013-12-22T20:02:24+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

thanks will do after 72 hrs

Posted 2013-12-22T20:41:39+0000  by pv123

I say absolutely yes. Here is a real-life example of why it is a good idea.

I had granite installed about 4 weeks ago. The granite was sealed by the fabricator at their shop before the installation and then again, one more time at our house afer the installation, the installer said the sealing would last about 5 - 7 years. Well, 2 weeks after the installation my wife left one of those gel window clings on the granite overnight (a bright red one to boot). The granite is light grey.....

Needless to say the dye from the gel cling ended up staining the granite. I called the installer and he told me not to panic. He explained what to do and I did it. The stain came out over night. He said if the granite was untreated and not sealed...the big red stain would most likely not have come out or at a minimum turned pink and stayed there....

Big fan of sealing the granite/marble!

Posted 2013-12-22T21:04:57+0000  by thedataman

thanks so much!!!

Posted 2013-12-22T22:01:58+0000  by pv123

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+