Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Six Month Old hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Model 52379 hums but blades won't turn

I can hear the motor hum but blades don't spin and the light works fine. On occasion it works fine or if we just leave it on when it hums it starts now and then. I have checked wiring etc,,,,,,,,,,
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-02T19:47:03+0000  by jbs1246 jbs1246
Hello jbs1246.  Welcome to the Community!

This is an easy one.
Your fan has a one year warranty plus a lifetime warranty on the motor.
Contact our Hampton Bay lighting and fan service team for resolution.

Chris.

Posted 2015-06-02T20:16:15+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hi jbs1246!

There are at least two very common options to consider before returning your fan.

It is common to hear the motor hum when a fan is installed on a dimmer switch designed for lights.

Fan "dimmer" switches are unique and should be added to the circuit if you want to set fan speed at the switch.

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY:
If your fan has a remote speed control, you might also check to verify that the speed has not been adjusted to low.

Although seemingly simple, it is amazing how often simple suggestions produce results.
Posted 2015-06-02T20:39:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Pat,

Thanks for nothing!, I've installed close to 30 ceiling fans through the years.

I bought three of these and this is the only one that does this. I also know the difference in fan speeds and there is no dimmer switch.

Be helpful or take all three of them back!

Posted 2015-06-02T22:46:06+0000  by jbs1246

Pat, this has been going on for about 30 days and I know that I can control the speed with the remote. Sometime it will start fine. Sometime it will just hum and hum until we turn it off. I'm not talking about a few seconds wait, it' will hum for hours and never turn the blades. The blades never move. I can hear a click when it's turned on and then the hum. The other two fans don't hum nor do I hear a click.

The thing is probably a fire hazard.

Posted 2015-06-03T09:50:22+0000  by jbs1246
If you've installed 30 fans then it shouldn't take too much the figure out the fan is bad.  Leaving it hum for hours seems kind of silly and a waste of electricity.  Looks you have two options - take Chris' suggestion and call Hampton Bay or return the fan.  It looks like that model is still available, so you should be able to find a replacement.

Understand that the Home Depot folks (I'm not one of them) here are just ordinary employees that also work in the stores.  Because they have no way of knowing how many fans you've installed previously or if you have a dimmer, they generally try to offer a variety of solutions, as Pat did, because online forums aren't the most efficient way diagnosing problems.  I can understand you are frustrated with your fan but cut the Home Depot folks a little slack, they're just trying to help.
Posted 2015-06-04T09:35:10+0000  by Adam444

Adam,

Don't let it hum for hours. My response was in frustration about the remote and fan speeds.

And I have already bought a replacement from HD's competitor and returning this one to home depot.

Posted 2015-06-04T16:28:28+0000  by jbs1246
Just based on the questions here, the remote and/or receiver seem to be the most common source of failure.  I'm old fashioned so I don't see what's wrong with switch on the wall and you don't have to worry about losing the remote.

The cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if the competition's fan came out of the same Chinese factory or at least shares many of the components with the Hampton Bay fan.
Posted 2015-06-04T23:25:04+0000  by Adam444

I thought about taking one of the receivers out of one of the other fans just to check, but verifying the receiver was bad leaves me in the same position.

The new one is up and running.

The style is almost identical to other one and it is likely made by the same company over yonder.

Posted 2015-06-05T01:27:19+0000  by jbs1246
Glad you were able to resolve the problem jbs1246!

Whenever you reach the decision that an electrical device is a fire hazard, discontinue using it immediately and turn off the breaker to prevent accidentally applying power to the unit.

And in the future, when you install a fan that makes noise, take it down immediately and return it for a refund.

Safety certainly comes first! 

And our current customer service guidelines will allow you the refund or exchange for any reason within 90-days with a receipt.

So, at the first sign of a problem, use that customer service refund or exchange to make your home safe as well as more comfortable.

We're sorry you had this problem!
Posted 2015-06-18T16:05:26+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
For those who choose to try to repair their fans, click the link for:

This is also a good guide for those who choose to do periodic maintenance on their fans.
Posted 2015-06-18T16:17:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+