Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Subfloor

I would like to install vinyl plank flooring. The subfloor is made of wide wood planks with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between the planks. Can I install the vinyl flooring over the current subfloor or will I need to put a layer of another type of subfloor down first?
Thanks
Dave
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-10-09T18:37:41+0000  by dwaters7 dwaters7

Hello dwaters7 and welcome to the Community.

Each flooring manufacture has specifications and installation guides for their products.  In the case of flooring products, the specifications usually will address issues relating to grout lines or gaps.  On the Home Depot web site this information is usually found by selecting a particular product and scrolling down to the Product Overview section.  Look for a Information and specification box to the right.  Often the manufactures contact information is available in theses sections as well.See example below.

For  Allure ISOCORE  Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring, I actually contacted the manufacture and described your situation.  They advised adding a thin layer SUB-FLOOR, because the gaps you described could radiate up through the flooring.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2017-10-10T13:36:30+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+