Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

TOMATO PROBLEMS: DISEASES PART 2

Sun scald: caused by high heat-Look for plants with heavy foliage, a lack of nitrogen can contribute to this.

Anthracnose: treat with Mancozeb

Sour rot:

Black mold: treat with Mancozeb

Cloudy spot: caused by stinkbugs - Look for TMV on the tag when you buy tomato varieties- wash your hands before touching plants-clear weeds- don't grow tobacco in the same garden, grow plants from store bought seeds.

Blossom end rot: caused by a calcium deficiency- add bone meal at the beginning of the season.

Other Related Articles:

Using Annual Ryegrass as a Cover Crop For Your Garden

Lets start preparing our garden for planting!

12 Essential Nutrients Plants need to Stay Healthy

What to know when growing tomatoes

Tomato Problems: Part 1

Sucker Pruning for Tomatoes

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-06-25T21:28:23+0000  by Gail_HD_OC Gail_HD_OC

To control Blossom End Rot at my home garden, I save the discarded eggshells from the kitchen and add them onto the soil before I till the garden. I allow the shells to dry (some suggest to lightly toast them), then I crush them to reduce their volume.

Two or three times a year, I spread the shell pieces over the garden and till them into the soil. This helps to boost the calcium content of the soil and helps the tomatoes to develop.

For quicker results, apply Blossom End Rot Spray to the tomato plants. The calcium chloride in this spray will correct the calcium imbalance that caused the end rot.

-Travis

Posted 2014-07-01T18:01:47+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+