Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Tasty Turkey Techniques

Thanksgiving is getting closer by the day, and there seems to be a bit of a controversy over how to cook the bird these days. I have have oven-roasted turkeys for years but I’m not sure I can go back now that I have tried a fried bird!

This Thanksgiving will you be cooking your turkey in an oven, fryer, smoker, or something else?

All this talk of turkey is making me hungry!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-17T00:12:51+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hey Blake, I'm going to try and smoke mine this year. I've done fried and baked, but I love a challenge and smoking a bird that big should do the trick. 

I'll have plenty of company and eggnog this year to keep me on my game. 

Posted 2010-11-17T14:01:25+0000  by ThatGuy

I'm all about the turkey fryer. I've borrowed a friend's several times, but need to buy one...this one (http://bit.ly/cmT6z9) would be perfect

Posted 2010-11-17T14:40:40+0000  by hallawton

We like the Turkey Fryer option as well. 

For Thanksgiving, we are the visiting team every year, so I appreciate however it is prepared!!!:smileyhappy:

I hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving with your friends and family!!!

Posted 2010-11-17T14:56:37+0000  by Fletch

Soak the bird over night in a styrofoam cooler in "Texas Pete's Hot Sauce" and deep fry in peanut oil. You'll thank me!

Posted 2010-11-19T03:33:19+0000  by memainor

I love the taste of fried but don’t want the drama (and mess) of oil.  The Char-Broil oil-less fryer uses propane!  I experienced this fryer earlier in the year with a very large bird using a seasoned rub and it was quite moist.  Clean-up is a breeze with a pull-out grease tray. 

turkey fryer.jpg

Posted 2010-11-19T13:35:25+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

From a rating score of 1 to 10....where 1 is mild and 10 is nuclear, How would you rate the HOT factor for the Turkey?

Thanks

Posted 2010-11-19T19:16:09+0000  by Fletch

Every year for the past 5 or 6 years I break out the trusty CharBroil water smoker, a bag of charcoal and a lot of hickory wood chunks (not chips) and the night before Thanksgiving fire everything up and smoke a turkey and a ham. Takes a lot of time, but it's well worth the effort! They look like burnt offerings but after you peel off the outer layer its melt in your mouth time.  We rarely have much in the way of leftovers because everyone wants to take some home!

Posted 2010-11-20T00:54:19+0000  by hawkpy76

Gosh Its been years since I've had a smoked turkey, or smoked anything for that matter. That may very well be on the list for next year! 

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe thanksgiving, I know that I did!    :manvery-happy:    

-Blake 

Posted 2010-11-30T23:03:32+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+