Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Tax on Home Depot Online ship to store order

I am located in Illinois. Can anyone tell me when placing a ship to store online order and paying with credit card, how is sales tax rate determined? Does home depot apply sales tax rate of the ship to store location or the sales tax rate of the credit card bill to address location? When placing an online order, it gives the estimated tax, not the actual tax amount. I'd like to know what the actual total cost will be before submitting an order.

Thanks  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-05-12T02:18:07+0000  by hueyman hueyman

Hello hueyman, and welcome to the Community!

The tax rate is calculated based on your address, not where it's shipped. Shipping to the store will save you in the long run, depending on product. For example, if you live in Will County but pick up in Chicago, you still pay the Will County tax. 

Thanks for posting!
~Angelo
Posted 2020-05-14T14:36:29+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
Thanks for the reply Angelo. So if I have an expensive order, I could save some sales tax by placing a ship to store order in person at a home depot location with a lower tax rate than my home location. Is this correct? 
Posted 2020-05-14T18:47:33+0000  by hueyman
Hi Hueyman,

The answer is no. The tax rate is based on the location where you live, not the location of the Home Depot store. A in person ship to store order is still a online order and the sales tax will be based on where you live not the stores location. You might save the cost of a delivery, but you will pay the same amount of sales tax.

Mike
Posted 2020-05-14T19:03:39+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hi Mike,
            The reason I was asking for confirmation on this is because my online ship to store orders at Menards have been taxed based on store location...not my home address. Also, when I go through an online ship to store order on Lowes website, the sales tax that it adds is based on store location. When I change ship to store locations on the order the tax amount changes to the new store local tax rate. Not sure why Home Depot would be different but thank you for the confirmation.  
Posted 2020-05-15T02:13:55+0000  by hueyman

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+