Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Tire Swing

My friend and I want to build a tire swing this summer after we are finished using the tires for agility training.  What should I used to make the swing? Nails? Rope? Chain?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-08T16:59:05+0000  by elsamurai94 elsamurai94

Hello elsamurai94, welcome to the Home Depot Community!

Tire swings are fun times for young and old alike.  I usually see them hung from ropes since chain is much more costly but would otherwise work just fine.  You can suspend the tire either vertically or horizontally.  Vertical is by far the easiest and most common.  Horizontal requires more work and materials.  It will look like this:

TireSwing.jpg

In any event you will need to drill a couple of holes where tire faces down so that rainwater can drain out.  This will help keep the mosquito population down.

If you are going to use rope, some type of bowstring or bowline knot know-how will come in handy.  Here’s a couple of links on how to easily make knots that won’t come undone:

http://www.troop7.org/Knots/

http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm

Make sure that whatever rope you buy has double the rated strength or more than the heaviest adult load.  Don’t skimp here.  I would get rope that handles 500-600 lbs.  Polyester/nylon rope in ½” size is rated 525 lbs. and should do just fine.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-03-08T17:47:00+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thanks Man! :)

I'm thinking about using chains because I personally trust chains more than I do rope.  If I do use chains, what other parts will I need?

Posted 2011-03-09T04:15:19+0000  by elsamurai94

Welcome back Elsamurai94, 

My name is Christine and I’m also a Home Depot associate. Newf isn’t in today, so I’m going to give you some advise about hanging your tire swing with chains.   

You are going to need the following:

- 1/2" eyebolt (2) 

eyebolt.jpg 

- 3/16" quick link (2) 

quicklink.jpg

- playground chain

Drill a ½ “ hole into the tree limb, then thread an eyebolt into the hole, with the ring facing down. After it is nice and tight, attach a quick link to the eye, then attach the chain to the quick link. Make sure the chain dangles about 4 feet above the ground. 

Drill a ½ “ hole into the center of the of the tread of the tire that you are going to use. 

Then thread the other eyebolt through the hole, with the ring facing up. Make sure to screw the nut on tightly and use a washer.  Attach the other quick link this eyebolt and then attach the chain to the quick link. 

Then poof, you have a tire swing! Guraranteed hours of fun and enjoyment. :smileyvery-happy: 

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Christine  

Posted 2011-03-09T14:51:14+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Would that be for if the tire was vertical?  I was wondering for more of what to do if the tire was horizontal, like in the picture in one of the previous posts.

Posted 2011-03-10T22:15:14+0000  by elsamurai94

ddfdfdf

Posted 2011-03-11T13:16:10+0000  by Soumen

Hey elsamurai94.

The only difference between hanging the tire horizontally instead of vertically will be that you need more chains and connectors.  You can use either 3 or 4 chains mounted to eye-bolts on the tire (just like the picture).

I would put a fender washer inside the tire under each nut.  These have a larger diameter than a standard washer and so will hold the rubber tire more securely.  Don't forget to drill the drain holes and you will be all set.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-03-11T13:42:48+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thank you both for your help!

However, after I looked at the prices of chains, I changed my mind.  I can afford the rope :D  What would I do for a horizontal tire swing?

Posted 2011-03-31T17:39:03+0000  by elsamurai94

horizaontal rope tire swing*

Posted 2011-03-31T17:39:58+0000  by elsamurai94

Hello Elsamuri94, welcome back to our community!

My name is Angelo and I'm also an Home Depot associate, and I work with Newf, and he is not in today. I understand your decision to not go with chains, I was recently looking to purchasing some chain myself, and it was $3 to 4 dollars per foot, ouch!

Newf's suggestions can still be applied: "Make sure that whatever rope you buy has double the rated strength or more than the heaviest adult load.  Don’t skimp here.  I would get rope that handles 500-600 lbs.  Polyester/nylon rope in ½” size is rated 525 lbs. and should do just fine".

You are going to follow the same process as before, only that now you are going to combine suggestions from Newf &

For a horizontal tire swing, you will need three sections of rope that are long enough to reach from swing to branch and also allow for tying knots. Tie the three sections of rope to the tree with a square knot. Then tie the three together in an overhand knot, at least two feet above the tire swing. Be certain to center the knot, so the tire swing is level. An even better method for securing the three ropes is to bind with wire. Wrap the wire around the three ropes and around the end of the wire, about 10 to 12 times and then twist both ends together securely.

Drill about three drain holes in the bottom of the tire. Then, drill three holes, equidistant, and from top to bottom of the tire. Thread the ropes through the drilled holes and through a washer and then tie a secure knot.

I hope this helps you through your project, please don't hesitate to write back if you have any other questions. Once your done, you might want to put down some mulch around the area an case some should fall off the swing. You can use mulch, or recycled tires to cushion the blow.

Posted 2011-03-31T19:54:11+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Thats awesome!  Would it hurt to have 4 ropes in there? 

Also, we have found a place where we can get tractor tires (and I mean BIG HONKIN tractor tires) for free!  Would there be a problem with the rope weight limit?

Posted 2011-04-01T01:16:33+0000  by elsamurai94
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+