Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Toliet installion

Hello i  just purchased a home with a  cheap toilet and hoping to replace it when visting the store i noticed that the toliet i wanted need to be 12 inches from wall to bolt but the toliet i have is only 11 inches any possible chance i can still have the toliet installed thank you 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-12T01:26:37+0000  by chrissy777 chrissy777

12" is the current standard although 10" and 14" were common in older homes.  The distance is measured from the surface of the finished wall to the center of the flange (use the bolts that hold the toilet down when measuring).  If you have any molding like baseboard or shoe, you need to take that into account when measuring as well.  Unless you have an older home, you probably have a 12" rough-in.  Other sizes of toilets are available but you'll have fewer choices and they may be more expensive.

Are you planning on installing the toilet yourself or having someone do it for you?  If you're going to do it yourself, we can give some guidance for a long lasting, leak free job.  Just let us know!
Posted 2015-08-12T11:07:59+0000  by Adam444
Hi chrissy777,

According to your measurement, your "rough in" was built at twelve inches.

Installing a toilet that doesn't match this dimension will create a gap between the tank and the wall.

Essentially, you will lose the support against the back of the tank and the toilet will tend to waddle.

The force created by this movement places stress on the bolts attaching the toilet to the drain flange and will also tends to crush the wax ring which keeps your drain water-tight.

Over time, the toilet will become lose from the drain and leaks will develop.

This entire degrading scenario can be prevented by installing the correct size toilet from the start.

If this were my home, I'd ensure that the toilet being installed matched the "rough in."

In homes where the proper size is installed, the toilets provide great service for decades.

Here is a link to three toilets that are economical and match your dimension.

Before installation, take time to look up your toilet online and scroll down to the "specifications" to determine the rough in dimension.
Posted 2015-08-13T14:18:53+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not to quibble but a properly installed toilet doesn't need the support of the wall.  Nowhere I've lived in the last 50 years has had a toilet that touched the wall.  A toilet shouldn't wobble and if it does it means there is something wrong that needs to be corrected because wobbles lead to leaks that will cause damage.  The most common causes of wobbling are a closet flange that is too high or an uneven subfloor.  The flange should sit on the finished floor but slightly above or below can also be acceptable.  Especially in older homes, over the years an unnoticed leak can damage the subfloor, causing it to collapse.  In which case the finished floor should be pulled and the subfloor repaired.

If the subfloor is undamaged and the finished floor is actually uneven, like might occur with a poor tile job, then plastic shims can be used to help steady the toilet.  It's also possible, though less likely with a quality toilet, that the toilet was cast incorrectly and the base is not actually flat.  In which case, the toilet should be returned for a new one.
Posted 2015-08-14T12:09:07+0000  by Adam444
You are so right Adam, there really isn't a necessity.

However, in the real world, builders construct water closets to create a "finished" appearance.

Likewise, there are those who lumber into the water closet and flop onto the throne with such force that two bolts simply aren't enough to withstand the impact.

Most recently, I assisted one of my in-laws to repair a broken flange as the result of her renter making this maneuver after a long night out on the town.

So, even though it isn't necessary, when it happens you must still complete the repair.

And, if the plumbing is considered when the home is designed and built, there is no reason not to position the toilet very near or against the wall.

Finally, when toilets are replaced, the on-center measure should always be the guide for installing the new toilet.

You know ... that ounce of prevention thing.

Preventing secondary repairs saves homeowners both the expense and inconvenience of these unnecessary repairs.
Posted 2015-09-08T15:08:48+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+