Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Trending in the Aisles: Barn Door Hardware

You probably have seen one of the many home shows on TV displaying someone using a barn door and considered getting one too? The concept of a barn door in the home makes perfect sense. Say the your current bathroom door swings into the bathroom but blocks another door, like a linen closet or the door just cuts into your limited space anyway. Alternatively, if you have an opening between two rooms that you would like to get some privacy, a barn door allows you to have that privacy provided you have the wall space for the door to rest.  What do I mean by “rest”, well the door has to be placed somewhere when the opening is not closed. Whatever the width of the opening is, say 36”, you must have at least 36” on either side of the opening for the door to rest when not closed. Most barn door tracks are 72” long; so if you have a larger opening then you will use two tracks. 

Height is probably more important than width because most if not all doors you find in stores are 80 inches high and the track must be mounted up above the opening at least 4 inches. The reason is that most homes have door casing trim around the existing opening that is typically 2-1/4 inches and the track must be mounted to some blocking such as a 1” by 4”, this is usually ¾ inch thick but they just call it 1” lumber. The length of the board will be determined by the length of the track. The purpose of this “1x4” wood is to give track something to be mounted to, but the 1x4 itself is fastened to the surface of the drywall with the screws going directly into the wall studs. On a 72-inch mounting board, you will have six fasteners holding up that track, one screw on each end and then one screw every 16 inches, depending on your stud spacing.

I recommend you read the instruction completely before purchasing the hardware. All manufactures of barn door hardware come with their own installation instructions and indicate the weight limit of door to be used. If you are searching the Home Depot website and find what you are looking for, scroll down till you come to the Product Overview, on the right side you should see Info & Guides, this is where you will find the Instructions / Assembly to read and/or print out. 

Some people confuse Bypass and Barn doors. Bypass hardware is designed for a closet area for example; they allow doors to slide in front of and behind each other to conserve space. Barn door hardware is great alternative to Pocket door hardware without having to open up the wall.  Whereas Barn door hardware is easily replaceable. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-03-23T19:21:05+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI Angelo_HD_CHI

seriously this is some excellent and properly finished work. I have been willing to have these kind of doors for a long time now but was not able to get such amazing finishing. So i got to know about these products bought from money saving coupons through which i got heavy discounts.
Posted 2018-09-06T10:56:45+0000  by robbie22

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+