Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Trending in the Aisles: Pine Barstool Tops

I suppose it's no secret to anyone who knows me that most of my artwork as of late is on wood. It's durable, gives a great look, and is very affordable....sometimes even more so than stretched canvas.

One particular piece of wood that I have been using quite frequently in some of my artwork is the Common Pine Round 1 inch x 17. 75 inch.

While most folks consider these only appropriate for cabinet/furniture making (i.e. bar stool tops), just like with any building materials, it has other uses as well.

null Edge-Glued Round (Common: 1 in. x 17-3/4 in.; Actual: 1.0 in. x 17.75 in.)

In my case, I've used these for over a year with great success. For it's construction, its solid and glued together very firmly and it comes pre-sanded. While there are smaller and larger sizes available, this 17.75 inch version is just the right size for letting your creativity go.

Since it comes pre-sanded, it's easy to do layout and basic paint patterns before delving into working in your final designs.

In the case of the most recent usage of the great material, I've found that any pencil, ink, spray paint, acrylic...you name it works well on its surface.

For really precise illustrations and design, the fine-tipped markers work effectively, as shown below.

I look forward to posting more and more importantly making more artwork on these tops for friends and family...or anyone who would like one.

What materials do  you use that isn't typically meant for its intended purpose? Let us know, and be sure to show us here on the community!

Joseph

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-12-22T00:29:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi Joseph - Love the artwork! <3  You've inspired me to give it a try.  What do you use to seal the top once your artwork is dry?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Sherry
Posted 2016-01-22T00:24:25+0000  by sillylaughter

Hey Sherry,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

Since I use a lot of ink (Sharpie fine tip pen) onto the wood top, I almost always refrain from using a clear coat, as most oil-based polyurethanes can activate the ink, causing it to smudge.

I've found that through trial and error, that in those situations it's best to leave it be.

However.....if you are using acrylic based paints, you can use a high gloss spray or brush on polyurethane. I prefer a water-based version, so it won't yellow over time (oil-based versions will).

Click here to view more information on it, below is the product I like to use to clear coat.

I'd like to see your finished work Sherry! Please update us and post it if you can!

Regards,
Joseph

Posted 2016-01-25T21:37:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+