Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Vegetable Seedlings Availability

Hi folks,

First time poster.  When does Home Depot put out vegetable plant seedlings?  Do they do it by growing zone and offer them at different stores based on that?  I'm in zone 8a, Dallas, TX area.

Thanks,

Bob
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-02-08T15:49:22+0000  by WebGuyBob WebGuyBob

Greetings WebGuyBob, 

Welcome to the Home Depot Community! 

I just spoke to an associate at The Colony, Texas, Home Depot, the seed rack at that location is currently up, and the seeds are now for sale. 

Seed racks are usually set up mid to late winter in most Home Depot stores. I think the set is so early because the display helps all the gardeners to get dreaming 😊 

Just because the seeds are there does not necessarily mean that it is time to plant them. Shop early for best selection but read carefully the seed packet, there is a lot of information on the packet to help you have a successful harvest.

The Home Depot will also have everything you need to get things started, peat pots, tiny greenhouse trays, seed starter soil, heat pads, and grow lights. 

Once you read the seed packet you will know just when to start your seed indoors, or you will read that some seeds are a direct sow into the outside garden bed once the threat of frost is gone. Some seeds germinate in days, some can take weeks before they will poke their heads from the soil, some seeds need to nicked and soaked before they are planted, planting depth are different, and spacing is a key factor with root development......all of this information is on the tiny seed packet. 

I am excited for you, planting seeds is so rewarding, it is proud day when harvest comes along!!!

All the best and happy planting!

Maureen 

*Greetings once more WebGuyBob, the above information is, as you can see, for starting seedlings, I misread the question. Travis has answered your question below; I have left the above information up just in case you would like to start your vegetables from seeds! 

Good luck with everything! 

Posted 2020-02-11T18:48:32+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hi WebGuyBob,

The Home Depot sources our live goods and tender vegetables as locally as we possibly can. Of course, some plants that we have in Atlanta may have come from Oregon last week, but that is because those arborvitae will grow well here, and they are the best of the best!

Your ability to grow vegetable plants will vary regionally, so The Home Depot will roll out plants in your area a little earlier than we will in Michigan. We have cabbage, broccoli and other popular cool season crops hitting the stores here in Georgia already, this February.

You should have those in Dallas as well, with all the rest of the popular vegetable plants arriving in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Your last frost date is in the first week of April. Northern suburbs may see frost as late as April 25th.

Here is a frost date map of Texas:

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-texas-last-frost-date-map.php

Thanks for asking,

-Travis

Posted 2020-02-11T19:00:00+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+