Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Wallpaper Over Wallpaper

So i removed the wallpaper in my bathroom and started on removing the backing when.... Under a coat of Skim I see a pattern..... should I just re-skim and paint over ? or do I remove the wallpaper???  I just want to paint lol HELP!!!!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-10T16:01:05+0000  by Rashisha Rashisha

Hello Rashisha and welcome to the Community.

This is a tricky question.  It is hard to say because we do not know the condition of the wall under the original layer of wallpaper. 

Sometimes people put wallpaper up to cover a bad surface on the wall.  Sometimes they put the skim coat on because they just do not want to be bothered remove the wallpaper.

If you do not mind the extra thickness of re-skimming the wall, then do that.  Apply a good primer/sealer, then paint.  Keep in mind those layers start to add up.

A purist would say to remove the skim coat and original wallpaper, then paint.  However, you do not know what you will find under that first layer of wallpaper. 

Depending on the age of the house, the type of walls, (plaster or drywall) and the condition of the walls in the rest of the house, I personally would remove the wallpaper.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-05-10T16:46:39+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hello Rashisha,
It is definitely much more work but removing the wallpaper is the better option for better results. 
Good luck! 
Posted 2018-05-17T04:15:14+0000  by Azalia

You are ALWAYS better off if all the old paper is removed. However, if you choose not to remove it, you should prime the old paper with an oil based primer. Before priming, sand down any lapped seams or imperfections. After priming, again check for any imperfections that might need spackling.  If spackling is done, sand it smooth and then spot prime those areas. At this point, you should be able to apply wallpaper directly over the primer.
Posted 2018-05-21T16:37:57+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+