Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Water Heater Concern

Hey all,

Noticed some slight (and I mean slight) water around the base of my water heater this weekend.  I thought it might be condensation, but there's none on the unit.  It also hasn't gone away.  I've attached a picture to help.

Should I be concerned?  

Thanks in advance!

-E
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-05-11T21:04:12+0000  by Eranthius Eranthius

I see what looks like rust running down from the T&P valve (it serves as a safety release should the temperature or pressure get too high inside the tank) so it is possible that you have a leak there.  The valve may be hot, so use caution.  Is there any moisture around the valve or in the end of the piece of copper pipe that goes toward the floor?

How old is the water heater?  More than the six year warranty?  If so, start thinking about replacing it rather than making any repairs.

Posted 2015-05-11T23:00:14+0000  by Adam444
Thanks for the reply Adam!  I can see the rust too, but didn't feel any moisture in that area.  I have a home warranty, should I call and have them come take a look?
Posted 2015-05-12T00:21:42+0000  by Eranthius
The rust and the leak could just be coincidental and there could be a leak at the bottom of the tank.  The only places an electric water heater can leak is at the T&P valve and at the heating elements.  You could turn off the power and pull off each of the blue covers and see if there's any moisture.

As I said, if the heater is more than 6 years old, I would plan on replacing it.  If you didn't buy the water heater, the manufacturer's tag should tell you when it was manufactured.  If it doesn't actually list a date, it's usually part of the serial number. 

You'll want to check the fine print of your homeowners warranty to see if they cover replacement.
Posted 2015-05-12T10:06:48+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+