Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

What In The World Is a Random Orbit Sander?

In the world of electric sanders there are palm sanders, belt sanders, detail sanders, disc sanders, etc. 12 different types in all, each with a different purpose. The one sander used most by woodworkers is the Random Orbit Sander.  Why? Because it does not leave swirl marks.

Swirl marks are impressions left in the wood by the sand paper, there marks show up when the wood is finished ruining its appearance.

The random orbit sanding pattern is produced by simultaneously spinning the sanding disk and moving it in small ellipses. This ensures that no single part of the abrasive material travels the same path twice during the same rotation. Because of this random sanding action, the tool does not leave swirl marks and is not sensitive to the direction of the wood grain.

Random Orbit Sander

Random-orbital sanders use sandpaper disks, these disks are solid or they may have holes for the sanders dust collection system. The disks are attached using either pressure-sensitive adhesives or a hook and loop attachment system. 

The random orbit sander was invented 1982 by the Festool company in Germany, Festool makes very high-quality wood working and power tools. Today almost every major tool manufacturer makes a random orbit sander, it is one of the most popular power tools on the market.

If you want a first-class finish on your woodworking project, then the sander to use is a random orbit sander.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-04-26T01:55:26+0000  by Mike_HD_OC Mike_HD_OC

Another great post Mike.. 

I have to agree with you. I have many different sanders and my random orbital sander is ALWAYS my go to. 

In my opinion they are a must have in every shop.. Maybe even a couple. You never know when you're going to have a buddy (my daughter) working in the shop with you. ;)  

Posted 2019-04-26T21:14:26+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+