Sign In to join the community | Help
Gift Ideas

What kind of wood to use for concrete forms?

I am currently working on a concrete slab in my backyard, but I'm not sure what kind of wood I can use for the concrete forms. If I use regular lumber will the concrete stick to the wood?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2021-01-12T21:58:55+0000  by mnakawake mnakawake

Hey mnakawake,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

If you are using the wood just to make the forms for a slab to remove them later, then you can use essentially any type you wish. 

The key for easy removal (remember though, that dried/cured cement will always outlast and be stronger than wood) is you can opt for coating the wood where it touches the wet cement via a lubricant, like cooking oil on the wood assist in prying off the slab.

Most slab installers will also opt for planning in using the wood in smaller, easier to remove sections, as well as small supports so installation will be effective, and the removal of the wood is easy. 

This means you can choose a basic yellow pine or similar low cost wood, since it's just for temporary use.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2021-01-13T17:47:29+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hi mnakawake,

To add to Joseph's answer the minimum size lumber should be 1 x 6 x 8 or 1 x 6 x 10, for forms. Lumber any thinner will not retain the concrete properly and require many more stakes to support it. We sell a product called Kleen Cote, it's a release agent formulated for use on concrete forms and other building materials used in concrete work. It will allow for easy removal of the forms.

Mike
Posted 2021-01-14T19:18:32+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+