Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Outdoor Living

What type of screw is required by code to fasten a deck ledger board to a house?

An inspector said that lag bolts are not acceptable.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-08-04T14:05:54+0000  by LoQs LoQs

Hi LoQs, welcome to the community. One of the most common fasteners to use is the structural lag screw or bolt. One such product is made by Simpson Strong Tie.These are not your usual lag bolts. These are extremely hard and designed to hold a lot of weight.

Check out the complete fastener line for the screw or bolt that meets your application.Simpson Strong Tie makes a full line of structural fasteners for the building industry. 

If the inspector did not state which fastener is acceptable, you will need to check with your local building code office for your area. That way you will get the exact acceptable fastener for your city.

Posted 2016-08-04T15:38:37+0000  by Ken_HD_OC
Hello LoQs.

I will admit that I have never had a building inspector tell me I can't do something without also telling me what it is I need to do.  It may be that your building does not have anything substantial behind the wall where the ledger board goes.  Just wall sheathing will not provide any strength for the ledger board.  It may just be that local code requires through bolts instead of screws.  These are stronger when installed properly with washers.  Only your local inspector can explain what the issues are and what to do to fix them.


Posted 2016-08-05T14:32:39+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question