Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Which Soil Should I Use?

User-added image

Fall is the best time to plant trees and shrubs. It is never too soon to begin developing the garden spot for next year’s vegetable and flower garden. Which soil should I buy?

Soil really depends on location. Where is it going to be used?

• Potting soil is for containers. It is complete and independent.

• Planting soil is for the ground, as is garden soil. These are more like soil conditioners; an amendment. To mix into native soil.

• Soil Conditioner is not as ‘clean’ and will be more acidic than the previously mentioned products. It’s the leftovers of mulch production that has composted for about a year under the big piles of bark.

Planting and Garden soil will mention plants such as flowers, veggies, or Trees and Shrubs, depending on the pH of the product. Composting time makes the pH difference; the longer it composts, the less acid it becomes.

Lower pH (acid) is better for trees and shrubs. Neutral pH is better for flowers and veggies.

• Potting Soil lasts the longest and delivers nutrients to plants in pots.

• Garden Soil is best for low acid (higher pH) plants such as flowers and vegetables. Mix it in the ground for best results.

• Planting Soil is lower pH for acid loving plants like trees and shrubs. It is highly composted for consistency and clean texture.

• Soil Conditioner is highly acidic and has a course texture to help amend soil texture. It breaks up clay soil and will help bind sandy soil when blended, up to about 30% conditioner with 70% native soil. Conditioning is a long term process that eventually develops “topsoil”.

That being said, Topsoil is a very rich product that is slightly acidic and can be blended with native soil, or used directly in beds and raised gardens. I do not recommend topsoil for use in containers, though. It needs interaction with the ground for best results.

I’ll see you in The Aisles!

-Travis

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-11-24T20:10:30+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL Travis_HD_ATL

Wow.

This is a great article. I did an article on why we amend different soil types. Below is a link to my article. I am going to link this article to mine, as this article will help improve mine.

Amending Different Soil Types
Posted 2015-12-03T19:43:15+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+