Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Window Screen on Top Opening Window

Hi everyone!

We purchased a new construction condo last year, and didn't realize that new construction was code word for FUBAR - Run the other way!

One of our issues is that there are two fire-proof windows in the master bedroom that open a whole of 7" from the top only. They do provide a nice breeze in the summer, however there are no window screens on them, so bugs get a free pass. We have contacted several custom screen companies, as well as the manufacturer of the windows... and all we get are blanks stares and a lot of 'hmmmmmms'.

There are no rails/mountings of any sort on the outside, and since the window does not open more than 7 inches, we cannot even glue any sort of screen to the outside (my husband tried). It would be great if anyone had any ideas or recommendations. I really don't want to hang netting on the inside.

Facing, closedFully OpenedOpened Close Up

Looking Down @ FrameFrame Detail

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-13T18:00:09+0000  by Yelena571 Yelena571

Hello Yelen571,

Sorry for your frustration. I will try and help you with this one.

I would build a screen that would fit just inside the other edge of the window frame and then attach it with Velcro. This would allow you to take it off to clean it and also keep the little critters out. If you run the Velcro the entire length/width of the frame they will not be able to get in.

screen kit.jpgscreen kit mesh roller.jpg

Velcro.jpg

Make sure and install a couple of finger pull tabs on the top and bottom of the screen so that you have something to hold onto when you put it on and take it off.

This should solve your screen problem for this window.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-06-13T19:22:58+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Another option would be to build a frame that sits over the top of the window and down the sides while it is open.

Window Screen Frame.jpg

You'd want to line the area at the along the frame where it meets the opened window frame with some foam weatherstrip. This will better seal the screen frame to the window while open. While THD may not sell hook and loop in colors, I'm pretty sure the Velcro brand has more than 20 colors available, either sew or adhesive backed. Borrowing from the above option, run some color matched hook and loop material down the vertical portions of the screen frame and window frame to help hold it in place. Or just a couple strategically placed hook and loop dots might be all you need. Finally, to clean up the edges where the screen comes over the frame, place some screen molding to cover the screen edge. Just another idea to get your imagination started.

I might be wrong, but I think this is what SheCanDoIt's idea is...

Window Screen Frame3.jpg

See the white frame sitting inside the window opening? The cable stops might prove to be a problem though.

Posted 2012-06-13T22:41:33+0000  by Paul

Paul that is another great idea.

My idea was to attach it on the outside of the window frame. If the cable stop screws are on the outer frame then you should still be able to make the frame of the screen tall enough so that it will set just above them. The mesh should be just far enough away so that it clears the screw.

Paul my thought was since window screens have one side that the mesh is flush and the other is inset the thickness of the frame it might work. They just have to make sure and get the thickest frame that you can so that it will clear the screws.

As far as colored Velcro tape. THD caries white and black so you should be ok on that issue.

If the screws are really large and you don't think the screen will clear than Paul's idea looks like a great idea also.

If neither one of these ideas look like they are going to work please post another picture of the outside of the window so we can figure something else out for you. Be careful it looks like a long ways down from your window. :smileyindifferent:

If you make one of them work for you post some follow up pictures. I'm very curious now. :smileyhappy:

Posted 2012-06-15T16:57:42+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Gotcha...

Window Screen Frame4.jpg

Now I've shown the screen frame in white, but you'd probably want to use bronze. In most places, anodized, white and bronze are the typical choices. Not widely known, but these are industry standard colors. White is called Appliance White 50 and bronze is also known as Medium Bronze 40. You can also special order colors from specialty shops or online.

Depending on the type of metal used for your window frame, you might be able to use adhesive back magnetic tape instead of the velcro. My only fear with any of the adhesive backed stuff is the heat of that dark metal window frame when in the middle of the day in the depth of summer.

Posted 2012-06-16T00:41:57+0000  by Paul
Thanks for the great ideas! Im sorry for lack of follow up, but life got busy ;)
My husband has tried gluing the screen material directly to the window sill (if you can call it that), however the tiny opening makes it almost impossible to do so, even when using a stick. We're also up on the fourth floor, so that complicates things further.
I think that sadly our only bets are either getting entirely new windows or just keeping them closed. Maybe i'll use the velcro idea and screen them on the inside. That way I have access to open and close the windows.
Posted 2012-08-04T00:58:43+0000  by Yelena571

Ok, I think I might have thought of an alternative solution. If you can get your arm down the window opening, you might have a chance of getting the screens on the outside, provided the window frame is a ferrous material. A ferrous metal has iron in it, meaning it will allow a magnet to stick.

THD sells magnetic tape. I think we've talked about it before. It has some flexibility, of which we are going to take advantage. For the sake of this discussion, let's assume our window is 12x16. Cut your screen about 2" longer and wider than your window opening. For this example it would be 14x18.

Next position length of the magnetic tape and adhere with the adhesive strip to the screen.

Screen Blanket.jpg

Flip this over and run a bead of clear silicone caulking over the strips. You're using the silicone caulk as extra adhesive to hold the strip of magnetic tape to the screen.

Now that you have your screen blanket made, you have one more step before you want to place it in your window. Whatever material you have that you can make some tabs with use that. You might have a soda can available. The metal isn't ferrous so wont stick to your magnetic tape. Glue tabs onto the magnetic tape side at the top of your screen blanket with the silicone caulk. The tabs will make it easier to remove the blanket.

Screen Blanket Tabs.jpg

Once everything is set and cured, you can bend/fold up your screen blanket and position on the outside of the window frame.

Posted 2012-08-05T14:11:17+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+